Speedometer light bulbs - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speedometer light bulbs

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

the face on that guage must come off. I've seen guys put that white guage decal on the face so they had to get inside somehow. otherwise, maybe picking up another speedo?

Unread 01-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #47
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

How do you get to the face?
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #48
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
I have a slightly different problem. There seems to be plenty of light behind the face but the face itself seems to have fallen towards the glass leaving me with ok light at the bottom but almost none at the top. As anyone seen this before?
Maybe some of the bulbs burnt out?

Did the face actually fall towards the glass or is it just an illusion because of the lighting?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #49
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
How do you get to the face?
Pull the speedo and bend the tabs on the back.
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #50
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Fairly sure that face has moved towards the glass. Will pull it and see.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #51
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

One thing we used to do was to just totally remove the green diffusers if you happen to be in there, so all of the light from the bare bulb gets out, the white background inside the housing acts as a diffuser/reflector by itself.

The back-lighting will be white instead of having a greenish tint but it's a lot brighter. Even if you want a green tint then you can buy modern bulbs with the green coating. They are still diffused with the coating but brighter than a clear bulb going through one of those diffuser covers, you can even change colors easily that way such as to red which is better at preserving your night vision if your deep offroad at night where there are no city lights.

I know this isn't a fantastic quality picture (iPhone 5s in total darkness) but the other day I took the oil pressure gauge out of our Laredo and put it into our Limited and while I had it out I reached in and popped the diffuser loose, then with a pair of long needle nose pliers I crushed it and withdrew the pieces through the hole so I wouldn't have to open up the gauge. Then I bought a new bulb but that had a green coating from the local auto parts store to use with it. This is what it now looks like next to the alternator gauge (I plan on doing all of my gauges) which is still using the diffuser with a white bulb...
_
img_1448.jpg  
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.