Speedometer light bulbs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speedometer light bulbs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1976-1979-Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-85-Mph-Dash-Cluster-White-Face-Gauges-76-79-/00/s/MzA1WDM5OA==/$(KGrHqN,!lMF!i,Iee7RBQW8OQ4mtQ~~60_12.JPG Saw this on ebay

white-gauges.gif  
cj7-cluster.jpg

TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Other instructions
white-gauge-install-instructions.gif  
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Looks like you can get these in different colors. Has anyone done this? Kit is 20 dollars.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUVOL View Post
John I really like the top picture. How was that done?
http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showt...meter%20lights

I wonder if you can get those sheets and run them through a laser printer to make your own
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I would run a Dedicated ground to one of the nuts that hold the speedometer in the dash. This would run from battery Negative , or a central grounding point that is direct to the battery negative.

Bill
This was my first thought....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

John I thought those were seperate pics. Why is the one pic dimmer than the other ones? I guess its just the angle the pic was taken huh?
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showt...meter%20lights

I wonder if you can get those sheets and run them through a laser printer to make your own
I dont know but for 20 dollars for all the gauges is pretty good. I'm not that cheap.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I have wondered if a black light setup is possible so that just the numbers and needles glow. Black lights put out a little bit of purple visible light which wouldn't look bad to me. I should hunt around to see what's available.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I did the white face on mine and I really like it. I used the green leds. It shows up really good at night. I don't have a pic with them lite up but here is how they look.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The white facing for the gauges look cool and would stand out much better than the OEM black facing. But, ripping apart tachometer, clock, oil pressure and voltage gauge... forget that! I had a hell of a time just trying to get the chrome ring off the clock so I could replace the yellowed over ABS cover so I could replace it.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #26
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Something that no one has mentioned (unless I missed it which is entirely possible) is to open up the speedo housing and clean the dust off of the plastic lamp diffusers. I don't think it'll make a night and day difference, but it can't hurt. Mine was a bit brighter after doing that.
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Something that no one has mentioned (unless I missed it which is entirely possible) is to open up the speedo housing and clean the dust off of the plastic lamp diffusers. I don't think it'll make a night and day difference, but it can't hurt. Mine was a bit brighter after doing that.
I just did that to mine but no difference. I think I'm gonna have the back inside casing powder coated white. My gas tanks skid plate is getting powder coated anyway.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I had painted the front blinker housings with silver metallic paint. They are so bright with the factory bulbs they look like LED.

Does the LED strip light it up so bright that it looks like the high beams are on?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
I did the white face on mine and I really like it. I used the green leds. It shows up really good at night. I don't have a pic with them lite up but here is how they look.
Is it really visible at night? Looks great. I'm thinking of doing the orange overlay(being a tennessee fan).LOL A night pic would be cool. Also did you get the 4 point ba9 bulbs from them?
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #30
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I had painted the front blinker housings with silver metallic paint. They are so bright with the factory bulbs they look like LED.

Does the LED strip light it up so bright that it looks like the high beams are on?
Good point, That looks like a light leak because there is a tube over it so it shouldn't get illuminated.
High beams are usually blue but IF you put in a different color, that might help.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.