Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Speedometer gear install

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  keith460 
#1 ·
Well, I am trying to get the correct speedometer gear for my Jeep CJ scrambler with a Dana 300 transfer case. I had a 35 gear tooth gear and what I need is a 27 gear long shaft. So I purchasesd one from www.700raptor.com. I attempted to index it several times, but with no success. I have changed several of these with no problem. I assumed it was something I was doing wrong. Jim@700raptor.com told me I needed to index it to the 26-31 marks. Well, I did. Twice. Still nothing. So, still thinking it was me I took it to two mechanics (Not the shade tree kind). They both said, "It's the wrong speedometer gear." So, I then passed that onto Jim@700raptor.com. He stated, "There is no such thing as a larger diameter 27 tooth gear made from Dodge...
So I have no idea what to tell you." So, that is why I'm here. Can anyone tell me what myself and two mechanics are doing wrong?

#2 ·
Does the new gear look like the old gear? There is a short speedo gear for later models and the CJ's use the old style long shaft speedo gears.

#4 ·
I have some speedo gears in 28, 29 and 31 tooth and they are all right around 1.171" diameter and all of them are 4.32" in length. I bought them from the Jeep dealer almost 30 years ago for about $5.00 ea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.