Speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speedometer

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Speedometer

Ok so I'm down to just a couple annoying issues before I take this thing for body work and paint. The speedometer isn't fluid in movement. It jerks forward, then it will actually start backwards for a second. I know it isn't accurate. I have replaced the cable. I replaced the gauge. In the transmission I pulled out the gear but the teeth seem fine. I haven't altered the gear ratios. Apparently it is tough to find the parts that drive the speed? Any ideas?

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I've heard that oftentimes the cable needs some graphite to keep it moving smoothly - but since you've already replaced it and checked just about everything else it could be I've read of a few threads on this; heck my speedo does it usually around the time I switch gears and start accelerating...it takes a while to catch up, and as far as I can tell "it's a Jeep thing."
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I bought it in march and it worked then. It's about 10-15 mph off at all times it seems after havingy wife trail me
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

New or used? The gauge itself is probably bad. Search this forum for John Strenk post on gauges and see if it tells you how to rebuild the mechanical portion. Also I was looking for some information the other day and came across s web site that told you how to calculate which speedometer gear you need with different size tires and gear ratios. Sadly I don't remember where.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I had the original gauge on when I bought and it worked. At some point in my work it stopped even though I have changed nothing under the car. Changed the cable and the gauge and still the same thing
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Bad drive gear in the t'case is what I would ck next.
If your run'n O/S tires that alone could be the error.
You can by different d'gears to correct this.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Had a friend of mine say check the reducer...the piece between the t case and cable...gears wear down inside
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Take a drill and connect it to the cable then run that for a few seconds. If it still jumps around you know it's not the speedo gears in the t-case. If it does not jump around then you are down to the gears in the tcase or you may have the gear holder indexed wrong.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

^^excellent way to rule it out, fbb^^
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.