Speedo troubleshoot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speedo troubleshoot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
row684
1984 CJ7 

Hey guys, first off I did google. My speedo when all hooked up reads 0 all the time. I pulled the T-case end of the cable off and couldn't spin the cable inside. I then unhooked the speedo end to and if turns freely... I spun the knob on the back of the speedo and there is a fair amount of resistance but it will turn by hand. I have a spare speedo completely unhook that spins freely, I can spin it by hand up to like 40. So is the speedo in the Jeep that won't turn shot, or the one that's out?
Also it is an 84 and has a 5 digit odometer, the spare one is a 6 digit... Which one belongs in an 84?

Unread 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

one thing you can do is to have your cable protruding out of the bottom of the dash, still connected to the transfer case, drive a little and watch it to assure that it is turning. if you also have the cable disconnected from both the speedo and xfer case and can spin it freely by hand and see each end turning, then your cable is ok. I just pulled mine out of my 78 because the speedo had locked up (it hasn't worked since i bought it and have been guessing for a while on the road) and replaced the cable because the end at the xfer case was chewed up. took the speedo and shot a bunch of PB Blaster into the blaster cap (about an inch worth) and let the speedo sit in the cup with the threaded end emersed in the liquid overnight. worked it back and forth with a really small screwdriver, taking care not to round the inside of the thing where the cable fits, and finally broke it loose. put it all back together and it works. used an Omix-ADA 17208.03 cable, but found when i really tightened down on the connection at the speedo it would bind the cable and not allow it to work, so i had to back off a few turns on the nut. mine is five digit, i believe the six goes in the 84
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
row684
1984 CJ7 

Got it working again, the cable wasn't protruding far enough into the transfer case. It's off by +5 at 40 mph. Which is weird as these axles are the same ratio as the last ones were (3:31) and the tires are 31's, would have figured it would be -5 at 40 mph. Guess I'll just have to put 32's on her! Lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.