Speedo Gauge - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
PODNA

Speedo Gauge

I Am In The Process Of Replacing My Speedo Because My Fuel And Temp Gauge Did Not Work. I Have Replaced The Speedo And When I
Turn Ignition On The Temp Gauge Pegs Out. I Have Also Located My Sensing Wire Under Hood And Have Ohmed It Out Good
No Breaks But I Try To Use My Test Light They Say That It Should Blink Well I Get Nothing. They Also Say That You Can Use Your Dvm
And Touch A Terminal Of The Temp Gauge And You Should Get Pulising About 5 Volts If It Reads 12 Volts The Jumper Strip Is Bad?
Well I Get 5 Volts Until The Gauge Pegs Out Then I Get No Volts??
I Inspected The Jumper Strip But That Is Metal How Can That Go Bad
Or Is There Another Jumper Strip??
Could Someone Please Help I Feel That I Am Close..

Thanks For Your Time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

IF you have a bad ground to the speedo housing then the regulator will not work and you will see the gauges pegging. That is not good for the gauges.

Also make sure you did not switch the sensor wire and the power wire. The red wire should go to the "I" terminal and the Fuel sender should go to the "S" terminal.

Take your test light and connect the lead to the + terminal on your battery and then touch it to the back of the speedo housing. It should light up if it's properly grounded.

You might have to pull the fuse for the instument lights. Why? Because the ground can back feed thru the bulbs to a differnt ground that will go away when you turn your lights on.

The jumper strip cannot go bad. Like yousaid. it's just a metal jumper. The regulator is inside the the fuel gauge. That can go bad or a bad ground can make it not work.

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...eQuickTest.htm

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...au.htm#Grounds

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...QuickFacts.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
PODNA

okay thanks i will check out my grounds
second i just wanted to visit with you on some other issues that i have seen.
i have found your troubleshooting guide over the weekend and wanted to ask some more questions about it and it may bring up some more comments.
i used my test light and put it on the i terminal and i got a solid light
then i touched the a terminal on fuel gauge and i got a full flash like you said then i . then i touched the s terminal and i got a flash but it was dimmer like you said. so then i found my wire under the hood for the temp sending unit
and you said that i should get a blinking light at that point also
now you are saying that i should put my test light in the wire not touching any thing else and i should get a blinking light i am not getting that
i also ohmed out the wire and it ohms out good no breaks in it ????
please explain....

post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Actually touching the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge should be the same as if it's right on the sensor.

I guess I'm not sure of the results.
1. Touching it to the "S" terminal with the wire disconected: Bright Flash OK
2. Touching it to the "S" terminal with the wire connected: dimm Flash OK
3. Touching it to the Sensor gives no flash: Uhmm... Are you connecting it to the correct sensor or on the right part of the sensor?

post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
PODNA

do i need to touch the sensor or do i need to touch the inside of the wire
while it is off the sensor or do i need to touch the inside of the
wire and the sensor at the same time???
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PODNA

one more question while i am doing these test my temp gauge is still pegging out is that okay as long as i do not leave it for long?? or is there another procedure that i need to follw??
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It flashes but still pegs the gauge?
Both of them?

Does the gauge still peg even if the sensor wire is disconnected?

post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PODNA

No Only The Temp Pegs Even With The Wire Off
I Also Checke Dthe Battery Pos With Test Light To Back Of The Speedo And It Lights Up
One More Thing The Previous Owner Hooked Up A After Market Temp Gauge And They Ran A Ground All The Way From The Extra Pigtail On The Battery Negative????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.