SpeedHut Jeep Gauge!! - Might be Interested in Making Them! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SpeedHut Jeep Gauge!! - Might be Interested in Making Them!

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Hefavitzen
1981 CJ8 

SpeedHut Jeep Gauge!! - Might be Interested in Making Them!

Just got off the phone with SpeedHut and one of their development guys, Aaron. They are interested in taking a look at whether they can produce a gauge that fits in our speedometer hole and provide the same information.

How many of us are interested? Any way we can make that a Forum Survey?

What I am asking them for is:
  • A GPS speedometer that is the same size as a normal Jeep speedo
    • Fuel Gauge
    • voltage (because I prefer mechanical water temp...but that is just me)
    • or water temp
    • turn indicators
    • high beam indicator
    • and 4wd indicator.
I actually do not care about the 4wd indicator because I know when I am in 4wd, but for the purist, probably a good idea. Plus, I suggested that a 100mph top speed would probably be most realistic.

They have asked for the following:
1) A high resolution front facing picture of the stock gauge with all the lights on
I need some help with this one as my speedo is not mounted and I cannot produce this yet. Can someone email me a high-res photo?

2) Measurements of the gauge and its mounting points and hole including the gauge face and bezel
I will do this this week as my dash and gauges are all in my basement as I rewire my dash. I'll produce some good pics and use my micrometer to provide measurements.

3) Any one have an old busted speedo that they would like to donate, if it comes to that?

And, they are made right there in Utah.

Here is a link to their site: WWW.SPEEDHUT.COM

You can customize your gauges like this which is pretty neat.
Or

Hefavitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
jtfox
1981 CJ7 

Thats awesome! Hope this comes through.
jtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

HECKS yez count me in! Do the 100 mph speedo from 9-3 o'clock. Maybe a small tach from 9-3 o'clock positioned inside the speedo, where it says Scrambler? Like this, but turned 90* and the tach inside the speedo. http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-DU...si,-Water-Temp Forget it is a oil/water.
OR
Do the 100 mph speedo from 3-6 o'clock, and a tach needle pivoting from 6 o'clock at the bottom. Zero rpms would be at 8:30-ish to3:30-ish.
120 is what my cruise control is programmed at, so no biggie.
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Hefavitzen
1981 CJ8 

Here is another example of customization and features. Keep in mind, I haven't seen these in person, but they sure look nice.

Customized speedo: Imagine this at a full 5.5 inches
[IMG][/IMG]

Same speedo, but with the headlights on at night:

Also, there on the left are the features of it's information window as a result of this being a GPS based Speedo, which requires no connection to a sender or cable from the transmission.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Hefavitzen
1981 CJ8 

Ok guys, the Speedometer that we sent has arrived and Aaron sent me the following response:

START OF EMAIL:

6:46 PM (1 hour ago)
To: me, Bart, Wade

Hi Jeff,

We have your jeep cluster here now. I would like to have Bart Stores (our mechanical engineer) contact you about different features you might want built into the cluster.
Our thinking is, that this unit should be a drop in replacement and incorporate all the same gauges and warning lights as the OEM cluster. The speedometer would use GPS technology and not require any calibration. The water temp gauge would require our sensor and be included. The fuel level would be programmable and we could preprogram it to the Jeep OEM fuel level sensor. I can't promise you that we would pursue this project, so please make sure that the forum know this is just exploratory right now.

Bart could you give Jeff a call or email and follow up with him?

Aaron Westberg

Speedhut inc.
www.Speedhut.com
165 North 1330 West B2
Orem Utah 84057
801-221-1460 ph
801-221-1468 fax

END OF EMAIL:

So, if and when I speak to Bart, I will suggest/offer to have him browse our thread here to see what kinds of things people think about this. I posted this on CJ-8.com as well.opcorn:

Hope all you guys (girls?) are doing great, Jeff

(me, I feel horrible. My son brought me a present from his morning daycare and it wasn't a drawing of a butterfly made of his feet (which he did also bring me))

Last edited by Hefavitzen; 04-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: adjusted formatting
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I just caught up with this thread. Looking good! Don't forget about big bright buzzing lights for the blinkers!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD View Post
I just caught up with this thread. Looking good! Don't forget about big bright buzzing lights for the blinkers!
Ditto,

How did I miss this?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Nice!!!

But...IMHO (and my own mountain bike experience, and work experience : computer engineer) , I should prefer a speedometer NOT using the GPS technology: Not GLOBALY accurate enough at low speed and speed changes (usually several seconds delays before good measure) ... and I do not speak about the accuracy when you're under the trees / cities (with high buildings, tunnel, covered parking ASO...) or in bad weather (Cloudy, Snowy ASO...) finaly, the GPS signal quality may vary A LOT during the day (due to satellite position) lowering dramaticaly the accuracy until false measure...

How many times I've done +160 mph for few seconds (last gen of Polar or Garmin GPS: same issue) riding my mountain bike ! (or 0.5-1mph when I'm NOT riding the bike!)
This inaccuracy is completely fixed by adding a wheel sensor...

However, this GPS speedometer seems to be pretty accurate (very good refresh rate! and less than 0.5s delay between braking and monitoring) ,IN GOOD conditions...:

anyway GPS speed is good in assist... NOT in main measure ... IMHO always...

In other word : Nothing better than wheel/tranny/transfert case sensor speed ! This is for all this reasons above that car builder use alway it...

I will follow this post with interest about the eventual creation of a specific CJ7 speedometer

I'm agree with CrankyD, John turn signal blinker may have to be more readable (an arrow would be LOT better) , same thing with hi-beam (small icon Hi-beam on the side ?)...

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I'll agree to an extent on the accuracy of GPS being fluctuating based upon available signal. But for us who have switched up tires and trannys and can't get speedo gears, it may be an option. But...what will it cost man, what will it cost?
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Forget my main concern... HERE and HERE : I thing you should read : refresh rate 4-5 times per seconds : every 0.20-0.25s it is very good !

and Antenna helps A LOT indeed: I haven't seen it in the video... !

BUT... If I have the choice, I should prefer GPSless like write aggiejon for the price... and a GPS antenna is ugly and quite difficult to hide since it MUST BE VISIBLE...

@ aggiejon:

for less money ,you can calibrate the speedometer (GPSless) (page 2) : >>> HERE <<< Anyway , I know: with our transfert case, we need to find an electrical sensor which fits...

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post
Forget my main concern... ..... Anyway , I'm know: with our transfert case, we need to find an electrical sensor which fits...

Regards,

Gilles
I'm pretty sure there is one, A lot of people had found a VSS for the dana300 when they did a 4.0 conversion.

Some fit on the T-case and one fits the back of the speedometer.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

looks good so far.... subscribed
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Crossing my fingers...subscribed
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

I am in for this as well....looks awesome

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.