Speakers in a CJ-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speakers in a CJ-7

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Speakers in a CJ-7

This is a simple way to come up with a solution as to where you put your speakers.. first, find a plumbing supply shop and buy two 6" PVC caps (the kind you put on the end of a 6" drain pipe).. then I coated them with roll on bed liner, you can put leather, vinyl, paint, or whatever you'd like... I went to Best Buy and bought the DXI 650 Polk speakers because they are full range, and dang good speakers.. plus they come with a mounting plate that when you break off the tabs, file the edge where the tabs were down to the round part, they will fill perfect inside those caps... I used general purpose PVC glue around the inside edge of the pipe cap, slid the mounting plate down inside about 1/2" and let that dry good. Then you set your speaker on the edge of it and find the exact bottom.. mark the cap with a little piece of tape for reference.. I use spray glue around the rubber gasket for the speaker, and put it on the mounting plate ahead of time lining up the holes with the speaker holes. (to keep from having to hold everything in place later).. on the speaker, the mounting holes stick out a little bit, I cut that edge off leaving the hole, you can bend it up a little or cut it).. no put the speakers aside and hold the cap up in between the roll cage front piece and the elbow going down to the fender.. when you have the bottom mark straight down, make a mark inside the cap with a sharpee right where the roll bar centers itself on each side. you'll have two marks.. drill holes just big enough for a good sized self tapping metal screw, and make the holes about 1 1/8" from the outer edge.. that recesses the speaker so its not protruding into the back seat area.. my speaker wires "will" be fed into the bottom of the roll bar and fed up to the speaker area where another hole will be, use large rubber grommets on each end, easy to fish up, just shove a bunch of wire in, use a piece of #14 ground wire with a little hook in it, shove it down the inside and turn it a little, it will catch the speaker wire and you can put it up and out.. drill a hole in the cap for the speaker wire farther back than the mounting screw hole (towards the window).. its PVC and you can if you want use a grommet, I didn't since its just plastic and not liable to cut my wires).. IF you use a grommet, get one with a large heart (center), the cap is thick.. I then sprayed the inside of the caps with the glue, put my insulation in (cut it round for the back, and long strips for the sides.. Take out your self tapping screws you got for mounting the cap to the roll cage, start them in the cap so you can slip them into the holes you've drilled in your roll bar, tighten them down, I put red thread lock on mine, you can put Jb weld on them and screw them in if you're into some really rough off roading.. Feed the speaker wire in to the cap, put the spade lugs on, getting the positive on the correct wire and using the larger of the two spade lugs.. Next, seat your speaker into the cap and push carefully back to the mounting plate (don't forget to put the speaker wires on the lugs).. put the outside cover plate on matching up the holes, I use a nail to find the holes before sticking a screw in to find out I'm off 1/16th of an inch.. screw them down, then VERY carefully fit the screen cover back on starting at the bottom, it fits in that groove on the mounting plate as you'll see.. hopeful that I didn't miss anything.. its really simple as you can see in the pictures.. the originals we built in the 70's were made from 6" metal tube, cut the back and welded it on.. drilled holes for the speaker wire, put the grommet in, welded in tabs to mount the speakers to, put the sound material inside, welded the tubes onto the roll cage (no one steals these speakers).. and assemble the rest.. always looked great, but this PVC trick is easy, quick, and doesn't require all the cutting metal and welding.. back then we were building 2" black metal tube full cage roll bars, so it was a snap to do while out of the jeep.. mine sound terrific.. if you do it, post some pics of how yours came out and what you think.. wayne

img_4114-1.jpg   img_4115-1.jpg   img_4116-1.jpg   img_4117-1.jpg   img_4118-1.jpg  

img_4119-1.jpg   img_4120-1.jpg   img_4121-1.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

Looks good and super easy.
ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjett View Post
Looks good and super easy.
oh, forgot to mention, if you go with the dome tweeters like Polk has with these speakers, you can put them on the front dash in the old speaker locations.. and... if your really want some bang for your buck, get 8" caps and put some woofers in them .. along with a good set of midrange/tweeter combo's you'd have a kick A$$ sounding jeep!.. I bought the 8" caps, but just decided I didn't need that MUCH sound in my jeep, these put out some really nice sound as it is..
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
ferday
1981 CJ7 

very cool, thanks for posting this. looks great, i'd like to get rid of my 6x9's screwed to the wheel well, they sound horrible and the kids whack themselves all the time on the speaker box
ferday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Actually someone posted a speaker build thread a while back with a step by step on building that exact enclosure type. Mounting was different though. Cool idea.
CJ7KAHUNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA
Actually someone posted a speaker build thread a while back with a step by step on building that exact enclosure type. Mounting was different though. Cool idea.
That would be Dadamsnv . The thread is, how I made my jeep more awesome. IIRC.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

Looks great! I'm looking to do something similar.
Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.