Speaker Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speaker Question

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
62wagonkid
1985 CJ7 

Speaker Question

Hey guys,

I took the top off the Jeep off for the summer and have been cruisin around topless for the last month or so. With the top off the stereo is much too quiet and I have blown out the speakers At any rate, it is probably time to purchase a new pair of 6x9 for the back seat.

Here is my question, being in sunny socal, I will be running with the top off most of the time. Should I run marine speakers? What type of specs should I be searching? What have you all had success with?

Thanks for the help fellas.

-Jim

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
62wagonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Check Crutchfield.com, I think Infinity and polk are 2 of only a few companies that make marine grade 6x9s. Most MG gear is round for one reason or another.

Also, unless you plan on running it in the rain/leaving it uncovered in the rain, marines may be unnecessary. I did not put marines in mine, but it is not my daily driver therefore if its going to rain I don't drive it. So it somewhat depends on your usage.
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

these work ok..mount behind seat around roll bar. unless you go with high dollar system you dont get good sound out of an open jeep
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
62wagonkid
1985 CJ7 

I was worried that I would get mediocre quality sound with the open jeep. She is my daily driver so marine quality may be the route I go. Also considering updating the stock speakers (in dash) any idea what the largest size unit I can fit there?

I am trying to create the most volume without the assist of a sub (for somewhat obvious reasons)
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
62wagonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

5 1/4" up front. The only ones I found that fit are Pioneers as they have a slim profile(parking break mech gets in the way of most). They will not mount all the way flush on the grills (small central dome protrudes) so you will need speaker baffles to "enclose" the back of the speaker from the front.

Another option, that is slighty more complicated, that will give you better sound would be a composite speaker up front(cone and tweeter can mount seperately). This allows for flush mounting the face of the speaker with the dash. These are more expensive and take a little more time to install.

-I run the pioneers up front, straight to the head unit. The I run 6x9s with a 450 watt amp in the back. An amp is a must to have non distorted sound, that you can actually hear running down the road with no top. That said, in an open air jeep, it seems the sound is still somewhat shallow. If you want truly excellent sound, a sub would be a must. i chose to go without for now at least...
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblackm View Post
5 1/4" up front. The only ones I found that fit are Pioneers as they have a slim profile(parking break mech gets in the way of most). They will not mount all the way flush on the grills (small central dome protrudes) so you will need speaker baffles to "enclose" the back of the speaker from the front.

Another option, that is slighty more complicated, that will give you better sound would be a composite speaker up front(cone and tweeter can mount seperately). This allows for flush mounting the face of the speaker with the dash. These are more expensive and take a little more time to install.

-I run the pioneers up front, straight to the head unit. The I run 6x9s with a 450 watt amp in the back. An amp is a must to have non distorted sound, that you can actually hear running down the road with no top. That said, in an open air jeep, it seems the sound is still somewhat shallow. If you want truly excellent sound, a sub would be a must. i chose to go without for now at least...
Good info here. I have component Pioneers in the dash of the green Jeep and they sould 100x's better than the two way Pioneers, Polks, JBL, and Infinity speakers I've had in the tan Jeep over the years (the component speakers came already in the green Jeep.

I have 6x9's in the housings pictured above with no external amp. I do run a high powered Kenwood (15Wx4 channels RMS) head-unit though, and it's plenty loud for me.

Ran a generic bazooka with built in amp for awhile, but I'm not THAT much of an audiophile so when it was stolen I never replaced it.

Honestly, having tried Polk, Kenwood, JBL, Infinity, and Pioneer speakers in my Jeeps, the cheap Pioneer 6x9s from WalMart sound as good as any of them for the back, and they have poly cones with rubber surrounds so they'll hold up to Jeep use, even leaving it out in the rain without a top. Paper cones with foam surrounds will disintigrate, but almost all name brand speakers now have poly cones.

I will say I was shocked at how much better the component speakers in the dash sound over the 2 way. The prior owner of green Jeep put the speakers behind the dash in factory location, and mounted the separate tweeters above the oil and volt gauges.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblackm View Post
Check Crutchfield.com, I think Infinity and polk are 2 of only a few companies that make marine grade 6x9s. Most MG gear is round for one reason or another.

Also, unless you plan on running it in the rain/leaving it uncovered in the rain, marines may be unnecessary. I did not put marines in mine, but it is not my daily driver therefore if its going to rain I don't drive it. So it somewhat depends on your usage.
Exactly. I have Polks in front and rear. The ones with the white cones are marine grade whether they say it on the box or not. The two-way 5-1/4" speakers will fit behind the dash if you use spacers. (You can get nylon bushings of various lengths at Home Depot, etc., or you can just make them yourself.) Also, there are a lot of pods you can get from the catalog sellers that will fit 6x9s or other sizes. They're mostly polyurethane, but you can get special "for plastic" primer and/or paint from just about any hardware store.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I'm in the rainy north (took my top off in February when I declared that winter was over and the rains were done). I don't have marine speakers. Instead, when it looks like heavy rain (just had two days of it - freaky at this time of year) I just cover 'em with shower caps until the rain passes.
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bagusjeep is run all year in a bikini, it is mostly going surfing and dropping the boy to school so I need some tunes. Beach Boys of course, what else for surfing?

However an open Jeep is so noisy that HI Fi does not describe the experience.

I have $20 speakers, which come in enclosed boxes so they are kept away from the worst of the rain (3" some days) but they can be replaced after a few years. Placing them in a CJ is not so easy due to space constraint so one sits under the dash and the other under the drivers seat.

It sounds OK up to a point but as soon as the engine starts growling the sound quality is fine.

My "head unit" was $30 second hand and was probably the cheapest unit in the shop it came from. However it has CD, radio and USB and Bluetooth. Hence I can link an iPod to it. Nearly all teh time I just use a cheap thumbdrive with the tunes on. When I installed it I put a plastic sheet over the top of the unit, those cowl seals tend to leak and the stereo will last a bit longer with no rain in it. Also if yoiu have a mechanical oil gauge there is a risk of an oil leak directly above the unit.

I dropped in to ayacht chandlers to ask about marine grade units and speakers and came away with the distinct impression that $150 for a set of speakers that I would then have to make some sort of mount for was a waste of my money.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
$150 for a set of speakers that I would then have to make some sort of mount for was a waste of my money.
I agree. My speakers were abotu $20 for the pair on Amazon. Head unit about the same (no CD - I just plug the phone into it to play mp3's). I made my enclosures out of one gallon paint cans:

http://jeep.smallcraft.net/completed_projects/stereo/
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I had a cheap system back in the early 90's that installed in my Jeep. The head unit was an audiovox that cost about $30. The speakers on the other hand, were Blaupunkt. At the time they were expensive, I think they were about $200. I mounted them in a board that was just laid from wheel well to wheel well behind the rear seat (not bolted down). I put some speaker grilles from some cheap Mustang speakers (not the ford car, that was the brand name) over the Blaupunkt speakers. My Jeep was locked except for the rear hatch on the hard top. Someone crawled in the back hatch and into the front seats, ripped the head unit out of the dash and left the speakers. I laughed for weeks about that.
I can't see spending big bucks for a sound system that will be open to the elements and thieves. I don't think I'd spend more than $50-$75 on a sound system unless there was a fool proof way to keep it from getting stolen. Keeping it from the elements is the easy part.
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

It's always interesting to see what people actually mean when they start talking about a "stereo system."
One guy starts talking about Polk and Infinity marine-rated speakers from Crutchfield, and the next guy is talking about something from the closeout bin at Wal-Mart with shower caps for protection.

I have always had pretty good sound in all my cars and trucks since the early 80s and always put the OEM junk back in when I sold them, so I had some existing pieces I could use.
I bought an Alpine digital head unit with three sets of pre-outs and a removable face plate for theft prevention.
I have a 200-Watt JL Audio amp driving Polk 5-1/4" 2-way speakers behind the dash and six-by-nine three-ways in pods attached to the rollbars, and a 100-Watt Alpine mono amp pushing a 10" sub.
The sub is in a box that's secured with a stainless steel U-bolt and a fiber rope, and the amp is secured to the box with carriage bolts.
The other amp is bolted under the passenger seat and out of sight.

I've been driving with just a bikini top most of the year in midtown Memphis, and still have everything after five years (knock wood!).
Sure, someone can always defeat any system if they're willing to go far enough, but this set-up will thwart the opportunity thief and anybody trying to tear anything out of the jeep at night is going to meet mister twelve-gauge.

But the sound quality is damn fine, and of sufficient volume.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post

I've been driving with just a bikini top most of the year in midtown Memphis, and still have everything after five years (knock wood!).
Ha, I'm surprised you haven't walked out to find the whole Jeep gone. Put some 22's on it and I'll bet it would be gone in an hour.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Well, I'm pretty sure the CJ isn't what the homies are looking to steal, so I play up to that.
No spinners, no little crowns on the dash. As far as the thieves around here go, the off-road look is kind of like the girl in the bar with the big fever blister on her lip: move on, bro, nothin' we want in there.

But the hood has a lock, the stereo is bolted in, speakers are too much work to bother with.
I take the faceplate with me, and anything of value is locked into the big Tuffy box bolted down in the back.
And honestly, I'd do most of that even if I lived out in the country somewhere, because the local thieves there would be more interested in an off-road rig than where I am now.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I think marine speakers are the way to go or at least use speakers with good poly cones.
I put a marine Bazooka behind the seats in my Scrambler;

I also installed seats from an 84 Pontiac Fiero with built in speakers in the headrest. I replaced the speakers with some good water resistant speakers when I had the seats recovered. Plenty of sound even on the highway (almost like wearing headphones).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.