Spark plug wires and MSD ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spark plug wires and MSD ignition

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Spark plug wires and MSD ignition

Hey guys,

I have an msd 6a ignition installed on my jeep. I recently found out that solid core wires cannot be used. And that spiral wound ones need to be used.

For those of you who have the msd, what wires do you use? The ones I have say suppression on them, and I read somewhere those are ok. Is that correct?

The jeep is also team rushed and nuttered.

If not, can you tell me which ones you use, as I will be doing a few things to the jeep this weekend and plugs and wires is one of them.

Thanks

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #2
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Yes, suppression wires ok to use, I use Taylor spiral core wires, they are quality made in USA, and won't break the bank.
You may or may not find them locally, I usually get them from Summit Racing.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #3
uptillnow

Hey Kovic,

I understand that you don't want a solid core wire due to the EMI Electro Magnetic Interferance.

I also understand that the spiral windings around the wire acts like a "choke" or "suppression" keeping the EMI in a smaller radius around the wire.

This reduces the "interferance" in radio's, and other electronics in and around the vehilcle.

Suppression of some type is what you want.

My two cents. Flame suit on, fire extingushers are close by...

UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I went to the dealership for my last good set. They lasted over 10 years trouble free. I have an accel supercoil and got the fancy accel distributor cap and wire set in 99. The cap arced out on the first off road trip and almost every spark plug clip pulled off the next time I checked my plugs. Total trash. I only have Napa ones on now, we will see...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #5
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ok, I just got back from the store, I bought cut to fit acdelco spiral wound wires, I can return them though, if they are not good.

kov
Unread Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I've been using the Bosch Premium 7mm wire set on everything that's not coil on plug for years.

From autozone they are a lifetime warranty. Tip the boot off changing plugs just take them back.

They have held up to the MSD for years now. Zero issues. I even had that same brand on the CJ with the stock distributor cap and rotor n the MSD for three years minimum. Before the MSD those wires sparked the plugs from the factory Duraspark ICM.

They are the spiral wound arch suppression steal core ignition wires. I stand by them 100%. I've used nothing but them for at least 15 years now.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #7
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ok, well What I did, since I did the team rush, is at the store had them look up the wires for a 1982 ford, and all they had was the ACdelco 8mm spiral wound universal v8 set, which I will need to put together myself.

Is there an issue with these wires, no good? Or will they do fine?

Thanks

kov
Unread Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
I went to the dealership for my last good set. They lasted over 10 years trouble free. I have an accel supercoil and got the fancy accel distributor cap and wire set in 99. The cap arced out on the first off road trip and almost every spark plug clip pulled off the next time I checked my plugs. Total trash. I only have Napa ones on now, we will see...
I use NAPA brand spark plug wires with the MSD6 Digital unit for the past three years without any problems. They are well made wires and cause no interference withe radio.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #9
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Hey Keith, you know what part # and do they work with the teamrush? Also, 8mm to 7mm, is that a big loss?

thanks

kov
Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

There is a sticky for the Ignition Upgrade with a picture I posted showing all the NAPA part numbers. No loss with 7mm wires that I could ever tell. Jeep starts up instantaneous.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
ACdelco 8mm spiral wound universal v8 set, which I will need to put together myself.

Is there an issue with these wires, no good? Or will they do fine?

Thanks

kov
Yes there is an issue, you need a special tool to make the ends crimp on the wires properly.

I have tried to hand make them and have never been happy with the results.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #12
kovic
1983 CJ5 

OK, well I can get my 60 bucks back. So the wires from napa are #700444, what was the point of 'needing' wires from an 82 ford as said in the team rush thread?

thanks

kov
Unread Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic
OK, well I can get my 60 bucks back. So the wires from napa are #700444, what was the point of 'needing' wires from an 82 ford as said in the team rush thread? thanks kov
They fit. A wire set for a mid 90's jeep anything with a 4.0 will be a direct fit also. That's the route I chose.
Unread Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #14
kovic
1983 CJ5 

But I cant get wires for my 83 jeep? I guess I dont get why. Ok 86 what wires do you order?

Thanks

kov
Unread Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

95 jeep cherokee with a 4.0. But any model will do.

It's been so long ago. But pretty sure it was a 95.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.