Spare tire carrier question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spare tire carrier question

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-22-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
HIPPER

Spare tire carrier question

I am looking for a tire carrier that mounts to the frame. I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a bumper/carrier combo because I want to run a double tube bumper in the rear. I am looking into the carrier made by 4wd Hardware, however, they recomend not going over a 31" tire with their carrier. They said the weight of a 31 with a steel wheel was used as their test. I was thinking that if I run a heavier tire, like a 33x12.5 bfg mt I could make up for the extra weight with an aluminum wheel, like the MT classic II. The guy from tech told me that I should be alright and that they had to put some kind of caution on it so people don't try to mount 37's and so on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Does anyone know the weight of a 31" tire mounted on a steel wheel and a 33" mounted on an aluminum wheel?

HIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 09:07 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPPER
I am looking for a tire carrier that mounts to the frame. I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a bumper/carrier combo because I want to run a double tube bumper in the rear. I am looking into the carrier made by 4wd Hardware, however, they recomend not going over a 31" tire with their carrier. They said the weight of a 31 with a steel wheel was used as their test. I was thinking that if I run a heavier tire, like a 33x12.5 bfg mt I could make up for the extra weight with an aluminum wheel, like the MT classic II. The guy from tech told me that I should be alright and that they had to put some kind of caution on it so people don't try to mount 37's and so on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Does anyone know the weight of a 31" tire mounted on a steel wheel and a 33" mounted on an aluminum wheel?
Even the stock carrier can hold a 33" tire on a stock wheel. I've done it for years without any problems.

If you're not planning to wheel your vehicle (and from reading your post, that's what I'm assuming), then you don't need a beefy tire/bumper carrier system with frame tie-ins, etc.
Unread 10-22-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
HIPPER

maybe I should have added that I am running a fiberglass body. I have a stock carrier, however, I don't have the holes in the body. I don't think the body is strong enough, so I was going to make a better mounting system for the stock carrier to disperse the weight. I just thought that if I could get a aftermarket carrier for 100 bucks that would hold a 33" tire, then that would be the way to go. It would save me a lot of time making the mount and measuring for the holes and all.

Also, why did you assume from my first post that I would not be wheeling this Jeep?
HIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #4
Greezy Gringo

If your skilled with a welder, or know someone who is I would check out this site.
http://myweb.cableone.net/wdohrn/carrier.htm

He has designed a really nice tire carrier that holds two jimmy cans. If I were a better welder I'd make one myself.
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPPER
Also, why did you assume from my first post that I would not be wheeling this Jeep?
No offense intended, but when you said something about a double-tube rear bumper, I assumed you weren't expecting to wheel heavily on it.

Reason being is that the tube bumpers are not rated for towing or recovery and have no areas to easily mount tow points.

I don't know of any $100 carrier systems out there, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I agree with the idea of welding and/or fabbing up your own design. The link that Gringo suggested is a design for a heavy-duty tire/bumper combo.

The really heavy duty units almost always come in a combo package and more than not have frame tie-ins. Trust one who knows, without the tie-ins, these carriers bounce and rattle all over the place and put stress on the rear crossmember.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.