Sources for GM 151 temperature sender - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Unclemoak
1981 CJ7 

Sources for GM 151 temperature sender

I've searched all the usual suspects - Rock Auto, Auto zone, Advanced Auto, Oriellys, Napa and am coming up short on finding the proper coolant temperature sending unit. Seems all the replacements that I come across have 3/8" NPT threads and the original has 5/8" NPT threads.

Anyone gone down this road before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Buy a 5/8" to 3/8" reducing bushing. Parts store should have them, as should Ace, HD, or Lowe's. Look in plumbing supplies.

Used to be parts stores were staffed with gear heads, but now they are computer oriented.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Temp

I've been in the same boat you are in for years. I bought the correct sender in the late 90's early 2000 from NAPA. Looking back I wish I would have bought the whole store. Since then I've never found it again. I did the reducer thing but it has never worked correctly since. I plan I getting a Speedhut Gauge next month, and hoping that this will solve all may issues...least those involving my gauges.

1980 CJ7 GM151 Bored out, Flat Top Pistons, Hedman Header, 2.5in Superlift springs, Extrem Shocks' 31 10.5 Mastercraft Courser MT tires on Allied MockLoc rims, Blazer heater upgrade.

Her Ride
2003 Liberty Renegade

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Unclemoak
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Buy a 5/8" to 3/8" reducing bushing. Parts store should have them, as should Ace, HD, or Lowe's. Look in plumbing supplies.

Used to be parts stores were staffed with gear heads, but now they are computer oriented.
I don't have a good reason, but I'd like to avoid using adapters. Call me crazy, but there has to be someone out there that makes the correct sending unit.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

It is an easy and inexpensive fix. I've used the same bushing since I upgraded my temperature gauge.

Try a dealership Chrysler and GM as it is a GM engine, but be prepared to pay. Then hope it will work with your gauge.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 06:04 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Personally, I would run the bushing. This is a common fix for aftermarket intakes that carry the sender.

Otherwise, have you tried cross referencing a GM car of the same year?
something like this:
https://www.carjunky.com/coolant_tem...~oemparts.html
You can get a list of cross referenced vehicles from wiki and go to you FLAPS and just start pulling senders off the shelf.

bazinga
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Same problem here. But i recently bought a Standard Motor TS 162 sender on ebay as there is some evidence that it can be crossreferenced to the original part number J 5751811. The sensor has the right npt thread and terminal but it's longer and the bottom end is more narrow. Compared the resistance to the values for the temperature gauge given in Factory service manual and the ts 162 seems to be a a bit higher. Values in the FSM are for the 258 however and there was a lot's of eyeballing on my side. Nevertheless i will give it a try.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Unclemoak
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
Same problem here. But i recently bought a Standard Motor TS 162 sender on ebay as there is some evidence that it can be crossreferenced to the original part number J 5751811. The sensor has the right npt thread and terminal but it's longer and the bottom end is more narrow. Compared the resistance to the values for the temperature gauge given in Factory service manual and the ts 162 seems to be a a bit higher. Values in the FSM are for the 258 however and there was a lot's of eyeballing on my side. Nevertheless i will give it a try.
Please let us know if it ends up working.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 AM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemoak View Post

Please let us know if it ends up working.
Good news. Ts 162 works fine. Needle stayed between the c-mark and the green band most of the time. As the engine got a little hotter - around 85 to 90 degress celsius at the cylinder head - it slightly entered the band. Good luck with your project, i just finished mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.