Sonic's 74 CJ5--build??? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sonic's 74 CJ5--build???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #76
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicr1 View Post
Thanks Jim, I have spent a little bit of time on the body and am just getting frustrated, so this will be a good time to check the measurements!!!!!
You're welcome Bill and please do check them, to ere is human and I am very human!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #77
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Deadman, believe me, patient is something I'm not... determined, yes!!! I will not let this stupid thing beat me!!

So I started out today trying to build up the the layers of filler... only to get frustrated with it drying and solidifying too quickly.

I came in, responded to Jim's message and measured my JEep to find that our dashes are different widths, and I'm gonna have to go through Double D to get a dash... no biggy, and not much more expensive anyway.

I finally got a couple nice coats on and started sanding. I think I'm starting to understand why I was getting frustrated to begin with. I didn't have enough buildup to actually sand down to smooth things out, but I'm starting to get there...

A couple more coats and I'm there... unfortunately I'm done for the week.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #78
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

When you finish mixing a batch of filler, take your spreader and apply a very thin coat pushing firmly on the surface. Make it so thin that you're basically trying to make the surface look wet, this helps ensure good adhesion. Then go back and build up a nice layer of the filler. Wait about 5 minutes and start checking the tackiness of the filler. You want to hit it with the 60 grit block sander right in between the point of it being tacky and rock hard. It will gum up your sand paper like crazy but your only trying to quickly get the main form and knock down the high spots. Then give it another few minutes to cure and get a bit harder before you finish sanding.

If you can time it just right you can really knock down the sanding time. If your waiting until it's hard before you ever touch it with the sand paper, you're easily tripling the amount of sanding time required.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #79
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
When you finish mixing a batch of filler, take your spreader and apply a very thin coat pushing firmly on the surface. Make it so thin that you're basically trying to make the surface look wet, this helps ensure good adhesion. Then go back and build up a nice layer of the filler. Wait about 5 minutes and start checking the tackiness of the filler. You want to hit it with the 60 grit block sander right in between the point of it being tacky and rock hard. It will gum up your sand paper like crazy but your only trying to quickly get the main form and knock down the high spots. Then give it another few minutes to cure and get a bit harder before you finish sanding.

If you can time it just right you can really knock down the sanding time. If your waiting until it's hard before you ever touch it with the sand paper, you're easily tripling the amount of sanding time required.
Yeah, I started out waiting till it was hard, but my boss was telling me to knock it down first, like you said... that helped a lot!!! But it is still an art... I'm better with math!!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #80
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Well it is already looking better and coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #81
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the pics of the materials. Now I feel like I'm on the same page!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #82
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Bill you're almost there man!! That is looking great.

My build thread
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #83
1983 CJ7 

It is looking a lot better!
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #84
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
It is looking a lot better!
I agree nice work
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #85
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

keep it up you've got the hang of it.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #86
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So, I started investigating the little volcano that I didn't notice while I was doing the cutting and welding... nice spot of rusted support channel on the inside... oh well, it is too late for anything more than a cosmetic fix.I cut out a square and welded a piece in... the inside will probably rust through again in a couple years, but I'm soooo done!!!

I started the day with the idea of just removing all the filler I had so I could start over...

It actually turned out better than I expected, I think I will be done with most of this side tomorrow...

I am hoping to order some comp cut tube fender flairs from jeeptubes.com hopefully in the next week, but this body work is just killing me!!!

I have been thinking about taring into the TC and the Tranny, but I hate getting into something else while this is so unfinished!!!!

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!

Unread 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #87
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Bill it's good to see you back at work. The side is shaping up very well. Why stop and start on something else though, you look like you're really gettting the hang of it and before you know it you'll have this part done.

My build thread
Unread 10-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #88
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I just start pressing and things start screwing up, as I said before, I am not patient, so this slow build is killing me!!! My plan was to just get this thing running and flog the snot out of it, but I also wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart if my wife decided to drive it to work...

I WANT TO BE DONE!!!

Unread 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #89
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
You want to hit it with the 60 grit block sander right in between the point of it being tacky and rock hard. It will gum up your sand paper like crazy but your only trying to quickly get the main form and knock down the high spots. Then give it another few minutes to cure and get a bit harder before you finish sanding.

not that this is wrong, but if you want to cut down on sand paper they make a tool called a body file for this exact purpose. i think i got mine for less then $5 and it has certainly saved me a ton
Unread 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #90
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately this has been a short weekend for me and I didn't get as much done as I wanted!!! I feel like I'm posting the same pic over and over... and it feels like I'm at the same spot I was at when I posted the first pic!!! Uuuuuggggghhhhhhh!!!

Well here it is, I think I'm done... I will get some high yield next week and smooth it out.

The big ripple under the door is going to be covered with a rocker guard, so I really don't care about it anymore!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.