some stupid questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > some stupid questions

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
kdouble99

some stupid questions

First,

Anyone know where to get a replacement shift knob lever handle for my CJ (automatic steering column shift lever).

Next stupid question, if replacing my leaky cowl rubber underneath the windshield (last owner painted over it, umm nice, makes it nice and hard and useless) think I can just fold the windshield down or have to un bolt those stupid torx? I always seem to strip at least 1 torx when doing anything.

Third,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is good to loosen up rusty bolts that have been on there forever?

Thanks!

kdouble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdouble99
First,

Anyone know where to get a replacement shift knob lever handle for my CJ (automatic steering column shift lever).

Next stupid question, if replacing my leaky cowl rubber underneath the windshield (last owner painted over it, umm nice, makes it nice and hard and useless) think I can just fold the windshield down or have to un bolt those stupid torx? I always seem to strip at least 1 torx when doing anything.

Third,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is good to loosen up rusty bolts that have been on there forever?

Thanks!
Just fold the windshielf frame down and the cowl seal is held on by some sheet metal screws. Just undo them and peel the strip off; no need to undo the torx bolts.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

If the windsheild hasn't been folded in a long time, lube the hinges first and wait a while or you will bend the hinges. The cowl seal is held on by philips head screws as said before. It's fairly easy to replace. The best penetrating oil I've found is Aerokroil...great stuff. You can find it at NAPA sometimes. If you can't find that, P B Blaster is decent and more available. WD40 is worthless as a penetrating oil, if you didn't know.
The column shift knob is the same as on a Waggy or older GM products, so it's not hard to find in a junk yard. Before you put it on, squirt some weatherstip adhesive in it and let it set for a day, it'll never come off again.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
kdouble99

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N
If the windsheild hasn't been folded in a long time, lube the hinges first and wait a while or you will bend the hinges. The cowl seal is held on by philips head screws as said before. It's fairly easy to replace. The best penetrating oil I've found is Aerokroil...great stuff. You can find it at NAPA sometimes. If you can't find that, P B Blaster is decent and more available. WD40 is worthless as a penetrating oil, if you didn't know.
The column shift knob is the same as on a Waggy or older GM products, so it's not hard to find in a junk yard. Before you put it on, squirt some weatherstip adhesive in it and let it set for a day, it'll never come off again.

Many thanks!
kdouble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.