some kid and his rusty desert jeep build (83' CJ7) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > some kid and his rusty desert jeep build (83' CJ7)

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

some kid and his rusty desert jeep build (83' CJ7)

Forewarning: it's a long read and a slow build. I'm just a kid and I do almost everything on the jeep myself, with no training besides the basics that my dad taught me and what I have learned from the web and jeep forum.

Just a little background first... My dad has been jeeping for 20+ years and did some of the hardest trails in Colorado in his 1984 CJ7, which he purchased in 1987. I was raised as a jeeping kid, and we frequently went camping and wheeling in the good ole' CJ... Having been driven as a DD for 15+ years, working out in the salt fields as well as road salt took its toll. There wasn't one panel anywhere on the body that didn't have a big rust hole through it. The CJ was worn out with more than 200k miles on the original drivetrain and was retired as it was deemed unsafe. It was later sold to a broke mechanic buddy, who desperately needed a vehicle... later he sold it to someone else who restored it...

anyways...
We all loved to wheel and go on family outings and such, so me dad began to search for another CJ. I remember going to look at dozens of jeeps with him, most were too squirly, beat up, or just plain ghetto. After looking for 2 years my dad found the 83.' It was quite appealing because it only had 32k miles on it, had a hard top and hard doors, dana 44s, and locked axles... we made the 260~ mile drive back in the rain at 45~ MPH we wheeled it for a few months until it developed some electrical problems, so it was parked in the backyard and forgotten.

Fast forward a few years, I get the itch to do something besides watch TV and play video games... I started troubleshooting the jeep, and got it running again with a little work.

Here's what it looked like when I first started working on it:

SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

The PO had built the jeep up quite well, and wheeled it frequently until his wife told him she wasn't gonna go anymore unless he got a 'nicer' jeep with AC. He bought a late YJ and swapped all the armor over along with the cage, lift, tires, seats, etc over and left the CJ basically stock.

Here's the current specs (Updated 1/1/2012)

258 I6
T4 manual trans
Dana 300
Shackle Reversal
Narrowed Dana 44 front--OX locker
AMC20 Rear--Detroit locker, sleeved/trussed, Moser shafts, disc brakes
4" Rancho lift

Last edited by SeaWulf; 08-17-2010 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: more details
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

We had a set of Cooper STTs with the older style tread left over from the other CJ, so we put those on and wheeled it like that... I recently noticed that they are severely cracked due to dry rot, so we swapped the BFG ATs back on... went to air up the BFGs and noticed they are cracked just as bad...

meanwhile, other issues lurk... We replaced the starter, and the ignition switch, to get the heep running, but running wasn't the issue anymore, rather, shutting the jeep off was now the problem. The steering column sector gear that moves the ignition switch will push forward (to start, etc), but won't turn back so the jeep stays in run constantly. I wired up a switch on the tach, which shuts off the motor as a quick fix, and we just disconnect the battery to prevent it from being drained (because the ignition is stuck on run).

The gears are waaaay too deep. The ratio is 4.56:1, which would work much better with 35-37" tires, because currently 1st is useless and you can start in 2nd or 3rd gear. 50 MPH is about as fast as you can go because you can't rev the motor high enough to go any faster.
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

At this point I have the green light to do whatever I want to the CJ, but I'm not allowed to spend any of my own money on it (my mom thinks I'd blow my savings, haha)

Initially I ground out some of the surface rust, and then used some walmart primer and krylon paint to cover em' a year later the primer is falling off and the rust is back. lesson learned.

a guy from my local board is parting out his YJ and said he'd sell me his Avalanche Engineering (the old Poison Spyder) for $75

I'm working on finding a decent set of used tires, but they're hard to come by in 15" rim sizes for whatever reason...
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
1983 CJ7 

Great start
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Great start
thanks

Found a trussed/sleeved AMC20 with alloy shafts, a detroit locker, and disc brakes on the other side of the state... Waiting to hear back from the seller--this is probably our best option for getting rid of the spool

Will probably have to SOA the jeep to clear the truss, but this was already on the list anyway. A bunch of guys on the local board said they'd be willing to help so it should be cake. That works out well anyway because we really need new tires, and need to go to a larger size anyway.

Anyone know what I could get out of the spooled d44? Would it be fair to ask $300 or so because it's ready to bolt in to a CJ, and has been converted to the correct lug pattern?
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Well, we ended up buying the axle. A family friend is bringing back, we're picking it up from his house tomorrow afternoon.

The seller threw in a lengthened driveshaft and a heavy duty D300 yoke, and wheel spacers for all 4 wheels.

And then I found a T5 with 60k~ miles on it for $350--we'll see what happens
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

picked up all the stuff today from our buddy... "giftwrapped" for my birthday... well, maybe not

AMC20, sleeved with 1/4" thick tube, trussed, disc brakes, moser alloy shafts, and a detroit... spare set of alloy usa shafts, and a heavy duty driveshaft

didn't get the spacers though... oh well

Unread 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

goodluck with it. the amc 20 is just as good or better then the 44 if it's hooked up and it sounds like that one is.

Stick with the 4.56 gears they are deep now but as soon as you get some lift and tires they will be prefect and you don't want to do it twice. they will be good with 33's. I have 4.10's on my rubi with 33's and more power then you and I wish I had 4.56's. I think i'm going to a 36 and then will regear even deeper

I'm building a TJ frame and suspension for my CJ7, if it comes together any time soon I'll send ya the 4" lift springs that are on it now
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

got a couple deals pending right now, but it looks like the CJ may get a set of 4" lift springs and a T5 trans

I'm still on the search for a good set of tires though... I found a set of 305/70/17 MTRs for $100 and a set of 17" soft 8s for $150, but the wheels sold... oh well
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

A good start keep at it.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah def stick with the gears. im rockin 33's on 3.54's with a 3 speed.....
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Looks like the CJ is probably gonna get a 5 speed.

My dad is thrilled because I found one on CL for $250, with only 60K miles. The guy is even throwing in the clutch and flywheel. And delivering from 100 miles away

My mom's like "is that the last thing you need to buy?"
"Uhhhh... no."
"I hope you know what you're doing"
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Got the T5 today

I assume I can use the T4 shifter with the T5?

still need some lift springs and a set of tires, but it looks like most of the major things are here

should have everything by Christmas... during the break we'll get a few buddies to help us out and put this thing together as my dad will be out due to a shoulder surgery
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

still chasing around parts but it looks like I'm getting a set of 4" springs for $80

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.