some Help for CJ7 4.2 limited automatic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > some Help for CJ7 4.2 limited automatic

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
pacmax
1983 CJ7 

some Help for CJ7 4.2 limited automatic

Hi to all from Italy. I received just one week ago a 1983 CJ7 limited 4.2 automatic bought in California. The car unfortunately has some carburator and trasmission problems.
About carburator (after reading many posts in the forum) I decided to buy a new weber 32/36 with manual Choke to replace the old factory carter.

The kit instructions report this: "Vehicles with AC and or Cruise may required additional modifications that are not available in this kit. Fabrication or reuse of original parts may be needed to allow the AC or cruise to work. Automatic transmission vehicles may require additional use of factory linkage for proper operation."

My car has AC, cruise and automatic trasmission... (i'm lucky man)

does anyone had the same problem and know how to solve or find the necessary pieces so that everything works?

About trasmission, i suppose the car has the tf999 model. Tomorrow my mechanic will open to check it, But already know is hard to find parts for it (i can use only internet to buy parts). I found an online shop but they have only parts for A904.. I seemed to understand that some parts are the same. is it true?
thanks in advance for those who want to help me so my American dream will not become a nightmare

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

My best regards
Massimo

pacmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
wm69

904/999/727 are all very similar. What parts do you need for the transmission?

As far as the Weber, simply idling it up a big should fix any A/C related issues.

As far as the auto kickdown linkage, I'm sure there is a way to make it work, but might require some pretty creative fab work. I have an TF999 to go in one of my Jeeps, but haven't gotten around to it. I have a Lokar cable to use instead of the factory kick down linkage (came with transmission when I bought it)

Cruise I can't help you. Have never looked at an OEM cruise control on a Jeep. A guy over on the Scrambler board (www.CJ-8.com) had some NOS cruise control units for sale, so you might ask the same question on that board.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
pacmax
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for help. I'm still waiting to know what is broken inside the transmission. It makes a great noise when I stop the car so I'm very worried. Next monday i hope to have some news from the mechanic.
Massimo
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
pacmax
1983 CJ7 

ok, i have to change the overrun clutch that is broken. the transmission shows the code 904-2 so i suppose i have the A904 instead of A999. Some help about online shop where buy this part?
Thank You
Massimo
img_3130.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Genuine Weber makes a solenoid that fits there carbs to kick the throttle up a bit for the auto trans and A/C equipped Jeeps.

IMHO, think you should have bought the 32/36 carb with electric choke instead.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
pacmax
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Genuine Weber makes a solenoid that fits there carbs to kick the throttle up a bit for the auto trans and A/C equipped Jeeps.

IMHO, think you should have bought the 32/36 carb with electric choke instead.
the mechanic has told me that I will not have problems with manual choke
he has already fit this carb on other cj with A/C and auto trans.. (I am confident).
Now i have another problem... i have to change the fuel send unit.
The limited model have 20 gal tank. The mechanic told me probably the old owner changed it. I have this label on tank "made in Canada JP1C_NG13D"
does anyone know if it corresponds to a 15 or 20 gallon tank?
Ok, tank brand solved, it is a Spectra premium 15 gal fuel sending unit code FG71A ;-)
Thank You
Massimo

Last edited by pacmax; 10-22-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Tags
tf999 , transmission , weber carburator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.