Some assistance with a hard starting 258 with Howell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Some assistance with a hard starting 258 with Howell

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
dwink
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some assistance with a hard starting 258 with Howell

Hey all!

I know that I actually have a YJ, but with the 258 I think this is a better place to ask this.

I recently updated my Jeep from a Weber 38 (for sale, BTW) to Howell for a couple of reasons, but emissions is the big one.

My jeep ran great with the 38, however I also had a big problem with vaporlock (Living in Reno, high altitude and high summer temps) that also was a motivator for me.

So the conversion went well, Jeep started right up and was running fantastic (not as much power as the 38 down low, but great manners) but the issues that I have been experiencing are as follows-

Warm starts are very hard, they take 5-10 seconds of cranking to get the jeep to fire up, and when it does it is running rich (black smoke for a minute) and then goes back to normal.

When the jeep is cold it fires right up, and hot starts are also fine. It seems to be the worst when it sits from 20 minutes to a couple of hours.

I need to update my signature, but all mods are still correct except the carb- so MSD ignition, headers, team rush.

I did not check timing- so I was thinking that could be an issue, and I also thought I might be dealing with vaporlock again, but I would think that I would not be burning black if that were the case.

Any thoughts on other things to look at?

Thanks in advance!

2012 Wrangler Rubicon- OME 2.5 HD lift, adjustable lower control arms, Adjustable sway bar links, AEV rear bumper/carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD front, Hella Rallylight upgrade, MORE skids, 315/70 DuraTracs on stock wheels for the winter, working on my summer setup.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dwink/wrangler-2][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/102069.png[/IMG][/URL]

Retired.... but a good friend still has her! 1990 YJ 3" Trailmaster 258 Jasper re-manufactured engine. Nuttered. Webbered (38). Team Rushed. Headers. Cancel that Webbered- went to a Howell FI setup.
dwink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.