Solution For Adding Delay or Intermittent Wipers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Solution For Adding Delay or Intermittent Wipers

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
myrtle77

Solution For Adding Delay or Intermittent Wipers

Guys, forgive me if I botch this. It has been forever since I actually started a thread with a pic in it. I've been lurking here for some time, posted a couple of comments and got some quality help. This is a very knowledgeable board.

I've been dealing with steering issues with Myrtle and several of you were kind enough to help me tremendously. I wanted to 'try' and return the favor.

I was recently searching e-bay for vintage intermittent wiper parts for Myrtle. I hate dealing with a light, misty rain. The parts are still out there if you hit e-bay at the right time but man, are they pricey and as you all know, they're 'used'.

I found this as I searched for other options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSA...4683da&vxp=mtr

This thing will wire up for most of you guys in about twenty minutes. (I'm not going to tell how long it took me.) You'll have to fab or find decent mounts for it because I couldn't use what came with it.

It works like a champ and is worth every penny of seventy bucks if it continues to do so.

Hella makes one, too, but I didn't find one under a hundred bucks until after I ordered this one. The Hella is cleaner looking, but I'm perfectly satisfied with this.

wiper-delay.jpg  
myrtle77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Neat find. With a little work I bet it could even be mounted flush in the dash too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
myrtle77

dash mountable

Jim, the spline knob will slip right off. It's mounted into its case with eight machine screws. You could definitely mount it in the dash if you chose.

I toyed with that option myself but decided to give it a 'longevity' test first.
Unread 08-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

very retro.
Those were all the rage in the 70's (along with bolt on cruise control kits), when virtually nothing came with intermittent wipers.
Another simple fix is the Ford intermittent switches. many of these were internal to the switch itself and only required the plug cut from the donor loom.
There are also aftermarket switches that do the same thing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Total change of subject. Where did you get your speedo. My cj doesnt have a tach and i have been wondering where i should put it.
Unread 08-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Blake_S
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinchwk View Post
Total change of subject. Where did you get your speedo. My cj doesnt have a tach and i have been wondering where i should put it.
It looks to me like the speedo he is running came from here:

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/CJ-Sp...eep/36:7|1:020

Check out the link. They are pricy, but the speedo uses GPS to calculate speed. Tire size and gearing changes don't require anything to make this speedo run true. Backup signal can come from a pulse sender put in place of the speedo gear on the T-Case if you like.

I'm looking to do this speedo mod on my CJ as soon as I get my other projects done.
Blake_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

If you want a simple under dash mount for this I could modify the OEM spec fog light mount I offer on my Shapeways store. That way the dash doesn't need to be modified.

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
myrtle77

Yes . . . Speedhut

Chris, Blake is correct. The gauges are from Speedhut. A bit on the pricey side but I'm completely satisfied with them. (I found them on this site during my 'lurking' days.)

The gas gauge is programmable, so you don't have to deal with dropping your tank for an accurate gauge reading. You do an 'empty' cal and a 'full' cal and call it done. I had a couple of issues (self-inflicted) in the beginning and one a couple of weeks ago. Speedhut tech support is excellent. The gauges have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser and the sending units two years. (My oil pressure sending unit went hinky and I got a free replacement in two days.)

No, I don't work for Speedhut.

cwig, thanks for the offer but I think I'll see how this thing works long term before I do anything else to it.
Unread 08-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
CSP

Is that switch panel from OTRATTW?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #10
myrtle77

Otrattw

Yes, CSP, it is. If I remember correctly, you can get them in four and five gang versions.

edit: CSP, my memory isn't what it once was. A little bell started going off after I posted the above. I actually ordered the bezel/switch configuration from here:

http://www.dirtyparts.com/store/deta...PTY)/pid-80148

I clearly remember being on the OTRATTW site while researching the switch legends (just the cover). Dirty Parts sells the complete assembly. My apologies.

Last edited by myrtle77; 08-20-2015 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: add switch information
Unread 08-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
CSP

No worries! Nice to know of another source to get their switch setups. Thanks!
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.