Solenoid wiring question. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Solenoid wiring question. Help!

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-09-2002, 10:29 AM   #1
Bob K

Solenoid wiring question. Help!

Hi guys. I just jumped over here from the YJ board. I think starting system is more like a CJ since my YJ is a 1987, built by AMC. Here goes...I got confused about the wiring on my solenoid. I have a Black/white wire with a L-shaped connecor. I have two small posts sticking out forward at 45 degree angles from my solenoid. On your jeep, if you have this set up, does the Blk/wht wire connect on the driver's or passenger's side post. I really need to know soon.

Thanks,
Bob K

31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
CSP

Honestly I can't remember and my CJ isn't home to look at. I do know that if you get it wrong you won't hurt anything and the solenoid won't work. Try it on one plug and if it works you have your answer. If it doesn't work you still have your answer. I've hooked mine up to the wrong post before and that was my experience.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
Bob K

Hmmmmm. Right now mine works both ways, but cuts out frequently when plugged on the left post, sometimes cuts out on the right (drivers side) post. I'm hoping to get the solenoid wired right then track down the actual problem.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.

Last edited by Bob K; 10-09-2002 at 07:32 PM..
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 07:30 PM   #4
werewolf7111

little advice here

a solenoid is just that a magnetic switch that allows either voltage or current to activate another device.
in the case of a 12VDC solenoid, EITHER terminal will engage the starter and crank the engine
( ONCE IN THE RUN MODE, IT DOESNT MATTER)

joe MSME, PE.
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.