Solenoid CJ7 wire red/green is getting smoking hot HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Solenoid CJ7 wire red/green is getting smoking hot HELP

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Artec July Promo - FREE STUFF, SHIRTS, & SHIPPING!PRP Seats & Harness at CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread Today, 04:53 AM   #1
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

Solenoid CJ7 wire red/green is getting smoking hot HELP

Hi

Noticed my red/green wire to the solenoid is getting smoking hot. I did some rewiring but never noticed this and did not changed anything to the iginition wires

How can i test this wire? Even with the coil feed disabled it is getting hot.
I saw the wire diagramm that wire 138 has an resistance?

1977 CJ7
Engine amc 258 1986

mvd1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:12 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Key on or key off? Engine on or engine off?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:21 AM   #3
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Key on or key off? Engine on or engine off?
With the key in on and engine off getting hot

Thinks somewhere i get an short beacuse when meassering the I terminal with an ohm meter it is connected with ground.

How is this wire routed to the ignition key? Thru the bulkhead connector?
Unread Today, 05:27 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd1968 View Post

With the key in on and engine off getting hot
At the same time, your ignition module is melting too. The ignition is energised with the key on which overheats the circuits. That is the fastest way to kill an ignition module. They get hot enough to melt the potting goo out.
The coil will eventually get cherry red too.
The next connection on that wire to the solenoid is a crimp connector that uses high heat duct tape for protection because black tape's glue will melt out.
If it gets real hot with the engine running, you have issues.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread Today, 05:33 AM   #5
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
At the same time, your ignition module is melting too. The ignition is energised with the key on which overheats the circuits. That is the fastest way to kill an ignition module. They get hot enough to melt the potting goo out.
The coil will eventually get cherry red too.
The next connection on that wire to the solenoid is a crimp connector that uses high heat duct tape for protection because black tape's glue will melt out.
If it gets real hot with the engine running, you have issues.
I have installed an HEI ignition an rewired and use relays. Removed the ignition module
When measuring terminal I should it be connected to ground?
How can i determine if i got an short on red/green wire?
Unread Today, 05:39 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I have installed an HEI ignition an rewired and use relays. Removed the ignition module
When measuring terminal I should it be connected to ground?
How can i determin if i got an short on red/green wire?
Lest be sure we are talking the same wire without me having to dig out my books. This wire goes to the small side terminal of the solenoid? If so it feeds power to the stock coil when the starter is turning. It hooks to the stock ignition wires.
Unread Today, 05:46 AM   #7
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

Yes

Its the I terminal. Book says it schould be HOT switching to on and start
Unread Today, 06:08 AM   #8
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

when connecting a testlight to terminal i and s and with the 12v it lights up. So I and S are connected to ground.
Thought that these I and S wires should be hot when going to IGNITION on and START?

Before i tear down my dashboard can someone explain me how this solenoid works?
Is power going to the i and s teminal or coming from it?

I followed the wire to the firewall connector and when checking ground on the red/white 13B the testlight lights. So i put one end to the battery + and one end to the 13B and the light burns weak

is this correct??
Unread Today, 06:44 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
when connecting a testlight to terminal i and s and with the 12v it lights up. So I and S are connected to ground.
Thought that these I and S wires should be hot when going to IGNITION on and START?
You need to check the wires going to I and S. The S post grounds because it is a magnetic producing coil that needs a circuit. The I post grounds through the starter brushes.
S wire only gets power when the key is in start.
I gets power when the key is in run and start. 9 and 12 volts respectively.
Unread Today, 08:39 AM   #10
CrashOdle
1981 CJ7 

There is no ground connected to the solenoid. It gets its ground through its case (mounted to the fender). You should have a blue wire from your ignition switch to the "S" terminal to close the solenoid and pass batt power to the starter. That in turn energizes the "I" terminal during start and sends power to the ign module. Once you release the key to run, power quits on the "I" terminal and the the module now get run 12v on a different wire. It has two circuits that's allows for a different timing curve for starts and run if I'm not mistaken.

Previous Heep: 2001 TJ, 4.0, 4" short arm, mall crawler.
CrashOdle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:44 AM   #11
mvd1968
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
You need to check the wires going to I and S. The S post grounds because it is a magnetic producing coil that needs a circuit. The I post grounds through the starter brushes.
S wire only gets power when the key is in start.
I gets power when the key is in run and start. 9 and 12 volts respectively.
This is both correct. Replaced the red/green wire to I with a new wire from the firewall connector. Used an AWG 13.
now. Wire gets a little warm no with ignition on, but i read that is normal. Happy now

What can be the reason my wire got so hot? Is it because it was hardened due oil/gas and was very old?
Assume this harness is form 1977

Thanks to Mike for the quick answers and to Crash for the solenoid explanation (tu)
Unread Today, 09:37 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

This is both correct. Replaced the red/green wire to I with a new wire from the firewall connector. Used an AWG 13.
now. Wire gets a little warm no with ignition on, but i read that is normal. Happy now

What can be the reason my wire got so hot? Is it because it was hardened due oil/gas and was very old?
Assume this harness is form 1977

Thanks to Mike for the quick answers and to Crash for the solenoid explanation (tu)
The I terminal "provides" power to the coil when the starter is turning. You do not want it hooked direct to the bulkhead connector, that is a short, you want it hooked to a stock coil only. In stock form it powers the coil, then once running the coil gets its power through a ballast resistor.
It should be disconnected for an hei setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.