Soft Top Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Soft Top Installation

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
McGough

Soft Top Installation

I just bought an 85 CJ7 and it has the original whitco soft top with all the hardware. I am going to try to install the soft top, but don't have installation instructions. does anyone know where I can ge instructions.

thanks Al

McGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I just moved to a small temporary place and most stuff is in storage, but I have the Whitco booklet and the softop on mine.

I should be able to walk you through most of it it, can't get at the booklet....

On the top rail of the box, about a foot behind the door opening, there should be two holes drilled about 3" apart. These are for the hoop base. The base goes in with the taller side forward and the hoop with the extension capabilities goes on the bottom.

The door frame is two rods. The top rod has the 'top hat' shape socket for the upright that goes to the outside of the bar. The upright's bar goes to the outside of the 3 claw foot with the hook toe on the foot in the first hole on the tub's rail and the two on the back side straddling the rail.

These two rods fit into sewn channels on the softtop door frame. The top rod comes out a slot about 4" from the front.

There is a front top windshield channel that the front lip of the softtop has to tuck into as the first step. Then the door frame rods and fit it into the first hoop, there are snaps and strap at that corner spot to hold the top to the hoop. Then the back hoop has two strap and snaps to grab it to the top. Then you start at a door corner on the snaps and work back pulling down hard usually.

I think that is it.

Now if you need all the snap measurements and those things, I can't really get exact without the paperwork, sorry. The rail placement I can help with.

The top edge of the windshield needs to be 75 1/8" to the back top edge of the tub measured in 20" from each edge. Found that from another of my posts...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
McGough

soft top install

snaps are already installed.
McGough is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.