Soft top and carpet question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Soft top and carpet question

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Soft top and carpet question

OK on my 77 CJ7 I am restoring it back to as close to original as possible. The codes say I had tan Levi's vinyl seats and the paint code was sunshine yellow. My question is what color top and what color carpet would have been put on this Jeep for that year and those colors?

nolefansjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm not sure about the factory, but black and yellow always look sharp on a CJ to me.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Well your soft top options are going to be extremely limited given that there are only a couple of choices, the Bestop Supertop or Tigertop. I believe both are still offered in black or tan for CJ7's, but I would expect them to drop the tan option at some point as they have with the early CJ5 top (black only).

Originally you could get any number of tops for your Jeep in 77 in a lot of colors. There was a Levi blue denim top that matched the blue Levi interior, there was also a white top. There were several manufacturers as well, Bestop, Kayline, Whitco, etc.

Unless you find a good NOS or used Whitco or Kayline (they do exist, check Ebay) you're stuck with what Bestop has to offer.
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I do know there was a tan Levi option. I've never seen black myself, only tan and blue.

With a yellow Jeep, I'd almost bet yours was a tan carpet and top. A tan top is available... for now. If you're going to carpet your Jeep, I hope you garage it. Soft tops keep most of the rain out.
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
With a yellow Jeep, I'd almost bet yours was a tan carpet and top. A
Impossible to say that for sure. I've seen just as many yellow CJ7's with a blue denim top or a white top as I have with tan, in fact tan was an extremely rare color in the 70's. Here's a yellow '77 Levi edition with a white hardtop from the factory brochure.
yellow-cj7.jpg  
78-jeep.gif

blue-top-cj7.gif

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Here's a blue 77 with Levi's and a blue top.
jeep-willys-cj7-renegade-levis-231382_1.jpg  
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Impossible to say that for sure. I've seen just as many yellow CJ7's with a blue denim top or a white top as I have with tan, in fact tan was an extremely rare color in the 70's. Here's a yellow '77 Levi edition with a white hardtop from the factory brochure.
Well there you go then! I never would've thunk it! But then again I try real hard to forget a lot about the 70s. Disco... Bellbottoms... the "preppie look"... (case in point: look at the shooter!)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.