Soft spot at rear cross member-Repair Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Soft spot at rear cross member-Repair Question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
jpd1899
1978 CJ7 

Soft spot at rear cross member-Repair Question

While looking over my "new" frame, I noticed a pitted spot at the rear cross member. Hit it with a hammer and punch and yes it is soft. This is the only spot I have found.

To fix this problem-Is it anything more complicated then cutting bad spot out, and welding a new piece in place? Anybody have any different approach?

This is where the rear shackle mounts so I want to make sure I do this correctly, thanks all.

GO SAINTS!!!

jpd1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

Weld it up and call it good, depends on how bad it actually is. Living up here in central Wisconsin salt/rust belt, my frame was shot I wanted a solid place to mount the spring mounts on. Very basic repair, can look really ugly as well. As long as you are not wheeling it hard you will probably be ok for awhile, but I guarantee the repair is much easier when you have something to weld to!
Have fun.
Mark
starfire340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.