SOA using Chevy full width cut to Waggy NT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SOA using Chevy full width cut to Waggy NT?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

SOA using Chevy full width cut to Waggy NT?

Ok, I'm about to explode from so much googled information.

According to what I am reading everyone says to cut 4" from the Chevy full width axle and use Waggy long side shafts to get it close to WT CJ width.

That can't be true.

Considering the Chevy axle is about 69" with 8 lug hubs (what I have now) and 67" with 6 lug hubs wouldn't that mean that I would have to cut about 6" off of the long side to get it to NT Waggy width?

Is there something that I am missing here? By converting to 5 lug, does it narrow the WMS even more to get to the NT Waggy width of about 61.5"?

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I think the idea is solid, it will give the CJ a little wider stance and more stability. If I were going to pull it off I would do the measurements myself and not put too much in what others have said when it come to making the cuts. My first thought would be use flanges off of what every was determined to have the right bearing mounting size and brake and hub set up desired. As long as the flange is compatable with the housing and axles are compatable with the side gears it should be no different than narrowing to any other width.
twocents.gif

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I think the idea is solid, it will give the CJ a little wider stance and more stability. If I were going to pull it off I would do the measurements myself and not put too much in what others have said when it come to making the cuts. My first thought would be use flanges off of what every was determined to have the right bearing mounting size and brake and hub set up desired. As long as the flange is compatable with the housing and axles are compatable with the side gears it should be no different than narrowing to any other width.
X2.

Would think you could measure from center of u-joint on NT Waggy, and cut the tube accordingly on the Chevy axle.?
Providing bearings,flanges,brakes, etc. are okay.
No experience with this. But I don't see why it would'nt work.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Maybe I am over thinking this.

My theory is to measure the length of the stock Chevy axle that is in there now against the donor Waggy NT axle. Subtract the difference in lengths (U joint center hole to end of axle spline) and cut whatever the difference is off the axle tube?

While I am at it, I will cut and rotate the inner C's so that the pinion yoke points up towards the transfer case and run a CV front axle. This will also allow me to set the caster angle to the correct spec.

I am using the Chevy axle for a couple of reasons:
  1. I already have it and it has 4.10 gears.
  2. It has the cast perch on top of the axle and would be an easier swap for SOA.
  3. It has flat tops and I can easily add Hi Steer.
  4. It has really thick (1/2") tubes.

Granted I may have to machine the top cast section on a Bridgeport or use a grinder to set the pinion angle but from what I've read, you only need to taper the spring pad about 1/4" to get the pinion angle about right and more front driveshaft clearance. Or I can just fab up some front SRS mounts that rotate the pinion and be done with it.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

According to what I am reading everyone says to cut 4" from the Chevy full width axle and use Waggy long side shafts to get it close to WT CJ width.

Is there something that I am missing here? By converting to 5 lug, does it narrow the WMS even more to get to the NT Waggy width of about 61.5"?

[/QUOTE]

By cutting down the Chevy axle and using the waggy axle shaft, aren't you just creating another waggy axle?

WT CJ axles are about 55" and TJ width is about 60-61"

Are you trying to go wider or stay stock width?

Very much interested in how this works as I am wanting to go TJ width on my CJ7.
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
By cutting down the Chevy axle and using the waggy axle shaft, aren't you just creating another waggy axle?
Pretty much yes, but I will have 1/2" thick tubes and can still use the existing cast spring pad and won't have to grind away at the center section to mount the leaf springs.

You can't easily go SOA with a Waggy axle and I'm not a big fan of welding to the cast center section.

The goal is to stay as close to stock WT width (56") so that my tires don't stick out too far and have readily available spare axle shafts out of a WT Waggy (61.5")

4" wider gives me about 2" per side and I can live with that.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

One way to consider doing it is to measure the distances from the seal/bearing landing to the installed depth of the axle shaft you intend to use and then measure from your side gears to that length minus the flange length. Cut to fit paint to match.

I hope that came out right, makes sense in my head.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
One way to consider doing it is to measure the distances from the seal/bearing landing to the installed depth of the axle shaft you intend to use and then measure from your side gears to that length minus the flange length. Cut to fit paint to match.

Huh?

On a front axle, the seal is way up inside the tube near the center section.

You lost me.....

I am thinking that it's as simple as measuring the difference in inner axle lengths, no?

That would put the center of the U Joint back in line with the center of the inner C. Or another way of looking at it is that it would be the same relationship from U Joint center line to ball joint center line so that it doesn't bind when turning the wheels.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Are you saying to stick a tape measure inside the donor axle until it hits the seal and then measure out to somewhere on the inner C and make the Chevy axle that same length?

That kind of makes sense to me.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Yea, but I would go all the way inside the carrier through the side gear to it's installed depth. The fact is I would probably measure it 17 different ways in the process. But you got what I was thinking.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Are you saying to stick a tape measure inside the donor axle until it hits the seal and then measure out to somewhere on the inner C and make the Chevy axle that same length?

That kind of makes sense to me.

That is how I was thinking to do it.
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Yea, but I would go all the way inside the carrier through the side gear to it's installed depth. The fact is I would probably measure it 17 different ways in the process. But you got what I was thinking.
I guess any combination of measuring the differences in tube lengths and axle lengths should confirm the same amount to cut off the long side.

I'll post some pics when I get started.

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Cool.

Time to go to work.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

with the cast in spring pad you have to measure from the center of the pad
to the C, then match this measurment from the other spring pad to the other C, it has to be centered.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
with the cast in spring pad you have to measure from the center of the pad
to the C, then match this measurment from the other spring pad to the other C, it has to be centered.
I agree but that is only relevant when welding the new spring pad on the long side after the axle has been cut/welded and has nothing to do with determining how much to cut off the long side.

Good point though about making sure the axle is centered under the frame rails (technically it doesn't have to be exact - but I would want equal amounts of tire/spring clearance on both sides).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.