SOA or Suspension Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SOA or Suspension Lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

SOA or Suspension Lift?

Hello Peeps,

I'm trying to get 35x14.50's to fit comfortably under my 85 CJ. Do you recommend a good SOA job or 4 inch suspension lift with a combination of a body lift and/or taller shackles? Any advice is appreciated. Also, with either route, I would like to swap out to YJ springs... should I swap front and back or just front if I do the lift?

C

1985 CJ-7 258ci with a T5 tranny, Dana 300 t-case with Tera Low 4:1, 4" sagging Suspension lift, Warn floating axles, all around disc brakes, DUI Distributor, stainless brake lines, flexalite dual electric fan, weber carb, and 33 AT. Future mods include going to 35's under a Rubicon Express lift with full body replacement, interior restore and train horn... with time, money, and weather permitting.
breakthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

I'm a SOA fan. That's just me. If doing the YJ spring conversion go ahead and do front and rear. That's My .02$
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
titomars
1981 CJ7 

i am also a SOA fan i have 33's under my CJ7 with a SOA and no body lift. and they fit very comfortably.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

Hey breakthru cleam out your mail box. I tried to PM you but its full.
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

jeepmaster... pm me if need be now. What's up?
1985 CJ-7 258ci with a T5 tranny, Dana 300 t-case with Tera Low 4:1, 4" sagging Suspension lift, Warn floating axles, all around disc brakes, DUI Distributor, stainless brake lines, flexalite dual electric fan, weber carb, and 33 AT. Future mods include going to 35's under a Rubicon Express lift with full body replacement, interior restore and train horn... with time, money, and weather permitting.
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

This may be a silly question, but if I do an SOA lift... and it adds 5" of lift, is that with stock springs? then if I got 2.5" suspension lift springs for the SOA, would that total 7.5" of lift?... is this how an SOA works?
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
dhubing
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthru View Post
This may be a silly question, but if I do an SOA lift... and it adds 5" of lift, is that with stock springs? then if I got 2.5" suspension lift springs for the SOA, would that total 7.5" of lift?... is this how an SOA works?
Yessir. Go SOA with the YJ springs, but stock height.
dhubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

yup. 4.5" w/ SOA plus 2.5" lift springs = 7" lift. Now you can stuff 36" meats with no rubbing and maybe get 38's in there with some rubbing.
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

IMO 7" is unsafe on the street. Even 5" with flexy springs is sometimes iffy depending on the driver (been doing/driving SOA for more than 20 years).
If its a street jeep stick with smaller tires, a standard suspension lift and better handling.
If its for off road use go with SOA and do a TJ or Scrambler fender flair mod to get the additional clearance needed for 33s to 35s (yes; I have trashed sheet metal (excessive rubbing) with 33s when flexed off road with SOA and no flair mod).
Your stock front axle and gearing are undersized for 35s in any case.
If you need to ask the question; you need to stick with a standard suspension lift and avoid SOA, IMO.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
CSP

SOA vs. a suspension lift depends on who's doing the work, how much experience they have, and what your budget is.

Spring over done correctly isn't cheap (especially if you're paying someone else) nor is it easy to do.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
breakthru
1985 CJ7 

I'd have somebody experienced do it... I was considering the Rocky Road Outfitter's one... it seems to have some of the best components I've seen, especially the perches, but I'd definitely want to weld it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.