SOA or SUA - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SOA or SUA

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Right, because those of us who don't hit the rock gardens every weekend and opt for an SUA lift whose performance suits our needs must never get off the pavement.

You looked past the part where he said it was dangerous with stock NT axles.....which isn't a stretch of the imagination.D
Thanks, Jeepwhore. It wasn't important enough for me to argue about it, but I appreciate your support.

More specifically, a SOA raises the center of gravity considerably...especially on a NT Jeep. We already know these Jeeps are prone to tipping over, even in their stock configuration. Raising the COG only enhances that. It's simple physics. But, hey, it looks cool...

Obviously, a SOA makes a better rock-crawler, assuming it's done correctly. But those same attributes will do you little, or no, good in an evasive maneuver on the road.

Apparently, he also looked past my second reason for choosing SUA. My setup basically involved removing the old springs and shocks, and bolting on the new ones. After an alignment, I was rolling again with a profoundly improved ride.

I didn't have to touch any steering, nor driveline components. The t-case didn't need to be dropped, and the brake lines didn't require modification. I'm sure there are other issues involved in a SOA that I successfully avoided, as well.

There is no right or wrong answer. It just depends on your needs and goals for your rig.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
redrubikee
1972 C104 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. It just depends on your needs and goals for your rig.

My build thread
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-hcg-commando-1253492/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-hcg-commando-1253492/[/URL]
-Jared-
redrubikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Hey Red, where you from in WA state?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #34
redrubikee
1972 C104 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Hey Red, where you from in WA state?
Yep, about 20 min. From down town marysville. I live near kayak golf course.

My build thread
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-hcg-commando-1253492/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-hcg-commando-1253492/[/URL]
-Jared-
redrubikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Very cool, howdy neighbor

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #36
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, i need to start this thread back up. im building a CJ7 and its a 77. it has the Quadratrac axles, so im problably going to put in a Dana 44 and 60. its going to have a SBC with a auto trans (prefer manual, but tub is auto.) so, should i go SOA, or SUA? I can do all of it myself. i just want some opinions. it will be on trails 99% of the time, and the other 1% is driving there and back.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #37
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap
Ok, i need to start this thread back up. im building a CJ7 and its a 77. it has the Quadratrac axles, so im problably going to put in a Dana 44 and 60. its going to have a SBC with a auto trans (prefer manual, but tub is auto.) so, should i go SOA, or SUA? I can do all of it myself. i just want some opinions. it will be on trails 99% of the time, and the other 1% is driving there and back.
Are you keeping the tranny/tcase? If so your rear axle will need to be off set to passenger side. This means custom axle and shafts which is not easy or cheap. This decision will make or break your plans. If you do want to swap it out, which I would, you are talking about some serious money and fab work to do complete drivetrain plus motor and ect...
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
Are you keeping the tranny/tcase? If so your rear axle will need to be off set to passenger side. This means custom axle and shafts which is not easy or cheap. This decision will make or break your plans. If you do want to swap it out, which I would, you are talking about some serious money and fab work to do complete drivetrain plus motor and ect...
Nope. im going SBC 350/TH350/NP205

It didnt have a motor when i got it, only the trans and T-Case. Im selling them. It originally had a 304, and i would put one back in, but i dont like the quadratrac and already have a 350 out here.

Unread 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #39
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Nope. im going SBC 350/TH350/NP205

It didnt have a motor when i got it, only the trans and T-Case. Im selling them. It originally had a 304, and i would put one back in, but i dont like the quadratrac and already have a 350 out here.
Nice choice. Although the 205 isnt geared very low and I've heard it's very hard to fit in between frame rails of a cj. Wish you luck with your swap.
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #40
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Nice choice. Although the 205 isnt geared very low and I've heard it's very hard to fit in between frame rails of a cj. Wish you luck with your swap.
What do you think is a better choice? I dont mess with T/C's very often.

Unread 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #41
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

What do you think is a better choice? I dont mess with T/C's very often.
Well me personally I love the d300 but you will need an adapter. I think you will need an adapter for several of the choices out there. For suspension I would go soa and find a front axle already setup that way so you don't have to mess with caster.
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #42
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well me personally I love the d300 but you will need an adapter. I think you will need an adapter for several of the choices out there. For suspension I would go soa and find a front axle already setup that way so you don't have to mess with caster.
Well, on advanced adapters its $500 for the adapter and im broke most of the time. Cant afford it. Ill just wait and see. since its a Auto i think i may be able to lower axle gears and it be fine until i get some money saved. Thanks for the help!

Unread 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #43
TecRsq
1980 CJ7 

S.O.A., out boarded, shackle reversal via PSC components, Parts Mike high steer system and MORE steering box mount.

Tires are 14.50 x 37 Toyo's, application is a locked and 456 geared Waggy D44 and it goes like stink.

1980 CJ7 / AMC 360 / Ford T-18A / Dana 300 / Waggy Dana 44 Locked / Ford 9" Locked n Trussed / Alloy Axles & Shafts / 4:56 Gears / Cage / Outboard YJ Springs / SOA / Shackle Reversal / Vanco Brake parts / MORE Box Mount / 37" Toyo's
TecRsq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #44
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

If you are really gonna wheel the crap out of it spring over is the way to go. My setup is almost identical to Tec's but I'm stretched with the xj springs, scout 44 in the rear and 4.88's. If your going to just drive it the sua is a little more stable and roadable but I still drive mine down the interstate on different tires at 70-75 mph.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #45
Cfr9
1997 ZJ 

i have a 1990 yj and im gettin ready to swap an 8.8 into it and i was gonna do a SOA on the rear with flat springs and keep my 4 inch inch procomp SUA on the front untill i get enbough money to do a SOA on the front. im pretty sure it already has a dropped pitman arm and i have adjustable mx6 procomp shocks. would this work? this is my first jeep give me some ideas
Cfr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , leaf spring , lift kit , soa , spring over , spring over axle , spring under , spring under axle , sua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.