Soa - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Soa

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
cbel

Soa

I'm wanting to do a spring over axle lift in my cj7. Does anybody know if I can fit 33s with just a SOA

cbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

33s fit fine with room for flex. 35s will fit but the center of the rear axle tends to be forward of the wheel opening, so the tire ends up rubbing the front of the wheel opening. Using a spring perch with multiple holes in it to move the axle rearward about an inch would help here. I like how mine rides, flexes, etc.

I also like not having a bunch of spring plates, U-bolts etc dragging in the dirt.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Yes a spring over will allow for 33s. Keep in mind, SOA makes for a great offroad jeep but not a great daily driver. Like 82JeepCJ7 said make sure you think about the setup and how it affects you offroad.
If you just buy new standard spring perches and weld them on top of the axles, you may have issues with axle wrap, etc. You might consider a kit or at least the elongated perches that are offered by some of the jeep fab suppliers.
I used the Rocky Road setup which gave me 7+ inches of lift which allows for 36s with bump stops - and I bought the kit that came with the shocks, bolts, etc. and I'm very happy with it. Contrary to their advertisements though, there is no such thing as a "bolt-on" SOA kit for a CJ. When you do any kind of SOA you should at a minimum plan to change the pinion angle of the rear axle which is easy to do, get a cv driveshaft made (like Tom Woods) for your setup, and if your old rubber suspension bushings are worn at all, replace them with poly.
Also, some can live with drop pitman arms to correct the difference in steering setup that will be required but I would strongly recommend an "over the top" steering kit. Having used both setups, I can say the drop arms are not great. OTT will help maintain or improve your factory steering geometry.
Good luck! Any way you decide to go, you will have a blast!
Evan
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I don't know why you would say a SOA doesn't make for a good daily driver???
The ride of a SOA compared to 4" lift springs is night and day.
IMHO SOA is the best way to go if you want that amount of lift (5.5") and still want a soft ride.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Skizriz, I agree 100% about the lift springs. I'm all for SOA but it does raise your center of gravity considerably. Just something to think about if the OP spends a lot of time on the highway.
Cheers, E
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I don't know why you would say a SOA doesn't make for a good daily driver???
The ride of a SOA compared to 4" lift springs is night and day.
IMHO SOA is the best way to go if you want that amount of lift (5.5") and still want a soft ride.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
If we're talking about just throwing the springs over and "making the steering work" I would agree it's probably not the best for a DD......doable, but probably not ideal. But if we're talking about using hi steer, controlling axle wrap and all the other little things that sometimes get over looked then I agree, nothing wrong with a SOA DD at all.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5huntingrig View Post
Skizriz, I agree 100% about the lift springs. I'm all for SOA but it does raise your center of gravity considerably. Just something to think about if the OP spends a lot of time on the highway.
Cheers, E
So let me get this straight your saying the center of gravity is only considerably raised with a SOA... why does everyone forget to mention the center of gravity is considerably raised with any lift.... but the driveability can end up worse on your jeep with the more rigid springs of a 4" or 6" SUA lift kit

And mine has no driveability problems at all around town even when it does duty as my DD
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
cbel

Ok so SOA is the way to go thanks... Will I have enough back space with 33x12.5
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
cbel

I have another question if I do a 2 inch body lift will I rub with 33s with out a SOA
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

If you are only planning to run 33's, a SOA is way overkill and can be expensive. A good 2-3" lift will clear 33's fine.
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
cbel

How bad does a 2 inch body lift look
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Cheap, if that's all you're doing to get 33's.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

A 2" lift may clear 33s, but you won't be able to turn sharp, and they will rub sheet metal every time you hit a bump. Go with a SOA and get it done with.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
cbel

I decided to go with a 2" body lift and 33x21.50 thanks for all the help
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
cbel

Sorry I mean 32x11.50 typo

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.