So what is the strongest trans? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > So what is the strongest trans?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Thanks for the info, nothing better than experience to know the facts. Just curious, how did you brake the T176?
Well it must have been weakened over time because I was simply going to work one morning on the highway headed up a mountain and when I downshifted from forth to third (it had 2.73 gears at the time) one of the main shafts broke in two. I had first and second gear to get back home with.
So when I went to the only "transmission shop around" (Pro-Trans, a chain store I believe) they couldn't find me a T176 but got me a T4. Being young and dumb at the time, I took it. But it fit right back in just like I took the T176 out.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Did you keep the T176? Wont to sell it?

Just kinding, I think I'm gonna go big at this point and be done with it.
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Just called a friend of mine with a 78 F250 I built the engine for, he has an extra tranny he is gonna give me. I am figuring it is a 435 from what I have read, now I need a T176 bellhousing (PM me if you got an extra). According to Novak it will bolt right up or I can modify my T4 bellhousing. Of course I need to get the adapt and output and rebuild it but that should solve my issue. I have a line on the axles and it I have to modify shafts will throw them under before I do it. Now I don't have to take the slammer apart.

Thanks for all the help ya'll kept me from waste more money going in the wrong direction.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

No, it was a trade in type deal, plus it was back around 1993 or so. I wish i still did have it.
Good luck with your swap, glad I could be of some help.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.