So which one is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > So which one is it?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

So which one is it?

I'm new to the Jeep thing, and I have search and found mostly complaints about every carb out there. My question is which carb is the best setup for the 1980 258 6cylinder? Should I stick with stock, or lean another direction? This motor is well equipped, with headers, dual exhaust, MSD ignition etc. Just looking to replace the leaking POS carb ? Got any recommendations?

frodin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

I would say that depends on how much $$$ you are willing to spend..... under $200 go with Motorcraft 2100... over $200.... Weber would be nice.....

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

I have the motorcraft and love it. After my buddy saw how well mine ran after I got it dialed in he had me install one on his YJ. Same 258s.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I think you will find complaints about every carb setup out there. You will find complaints about carb setups in general (from F/I guys). It does come down to $$$$. If you have a large bankroll, go with MPFI; small amount of money, rebuild kit. If your carb isn't rebuildable, search the junkyards for replacement or a MC 2100.
Dngrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

Thanks guys, I do have plenty of weber running experience, with the Vdub motors, they can run rich however and do take some knowledge for proper jetting and tuning. I was just wondering what most people ran? Thanks
frodin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Any old carb is problematic. A nice freshly kitted stock BBD runs very nicely, so does a new carb....

A kit for the BBD only runs in the $20.00 range and is easy to put in.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
CSP

At least with the '80 BBD there aren't any computer feedback controls on it. It's not a bad carb if set up correctly.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

The last new carbureted vehicle in America was sold around 1991. Close to 20 years ago. So if you're hearing a lot of complaints about carburetors from a group of internet Jeepers whose average age is probably around 25 I'm not surprised. The art and science of properly adjusting and tuning a carb is dying out.

The Motorcraft 2100 2bbl is probably the best and simplest carb swap for a stock 258. The rebuild kit runs about $20 and takes no more than 15 minutes to rebuild for an experience person. The carb is so simple it will literally run with the top cover removed, allowing you to adjust the floats with the engine running. In terms of simplicity, reliability and affordability it really has no match. In terms of off-road manners this carb is the next best thing to fuel injection. It simply will not flood at off-camber angles. I have been running one on my 258 for years and have ZERO complaints about it.

If I had to make a second choice, I would look for a Rochester 2GC, which was commonly used on GM V6's and V8's for decades (also called the 2 Jet) and the small flange version will bolt directly to your manifold since it shares the bolt pattern with the Carter BBD. These are also simple and reliable carbs but are less popular for 258 swaps for some reason.

My last choice would be the Weber just because it's so expensive. The EMPI knock-off is about $100 cheaper but is still beyond my price point. I prefer something I can pull from a junkyard for $25 or less. If I'm going to spend $300-400 on fuel delivery I'd much rather put that money toward fuel injection.

But if I were you the first thing I would do is get a rebuild kit for my BBD and see if I could get it running halfway decent without having to get rid of it. You'd be surprised what a difference a basic carb tune up can make.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

my carter runs great. Gas mileage is about 11 city 16 hwy so that is horrible but it runs great. Idles super smooth starts up every time first crank. I certainly would not put that in if i were replacing it.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.