So.. I bought a beater jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > So.. I bought a beater jeep

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
burley
1976 CJ5 

EDIT: Moved my question.

burley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
burley
1976 CJ5 

Just noticed my front axel seems twisted. Wasn't like this last week before I pulled it out into the driveway to back it in the garage. I threw it in reverse and gave it some gas so it wouldn't stall.. I have a steep driveway.
image-4277283433.jpg

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burley
Just noticed my front axel seems twisted. Wasn't like this last week before I pulled it out into the driveway to back it in the garage. I threw it in reverse and gave it some gas so it wouldn't stall.. I have a steep driveway.
Ha! Yeah it's twisted! Your U-bolts are probably loose. Haven't seen that happen before.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
json1123
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
my '79 uber-project (sold due to not enough time) started to really stink my garage up....found an entire family of dead mice inside the driver seat cushion. ugh that was pleasant. i probably sat on them a hundred times before i found it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
An entire nest of red wasps can survive a 150 mile trip at interstate speeds, no problem. For some reason, they don't get upset and come after you until AFTER you've pushed the heep in the basement and closed the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
I don't think she looks too bad either. Looks like a good place to start something special. Oh yeah, bought one one time that some chickens had been roosting in. Chicken crap and feathers everywhere, but that wasn't to bad. It was the egg that had been in there for no telling how long that I didn't see that got crushed. It would gag a maggot and make a buzzard puke.
Wow, and I thought finding a new Black Widow under my jeep every other day was a bummer!
json1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684

Ha! Yeah it's twisted! Your U-bolts are probably loose. Haven't seen that happen before.
Yeah, I've never seen that either. I'll check the U-bolts. Hope nothing got messed up..
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
burley
1976 CJ5 

Don't know how or why.. This is weldable, right?
image-2593181537.jpg

image-1346287900.jpg

Unread 05-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Wow that looks like one bad attempt at an SOA.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg
Wow that looks like one bad attempt at an SOA.
Yup. JB weld over a crappy weld as well. I'm going to buy a new SOA kit and have a buddy re-weld it. Luckily I've got a 250V outlet in my garage.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Burley,
Looks like a good base for a project once the fumigation and pressure washing has been completed. I saw an AZ licence plate in one of the pictures. Is your uncle out here? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson
Burley,
Looks like a good base for a project once the fumigation and pressure washing has been completed. I saw an AZ licence plate in one of the pictures. Is your uncle out here? God bless.
Jon In Tucson
Flagstaff. Got all the seats out and while sweeping and vacuuming I found about $.27, 7 zip ties, a bag of shag (bugler) with rolling papers, a fan belt from before I was born, and a bottle or rancid sugar water.

Even with a mask a couldn't help by gag. I need something industrial.. What solvent will neutralize the cat pee without burning a hole in the tub. This smell is unforgivable.

Dropped a YJ seat in for fitment.. Coming out for spray-bedliner. The front bracket holes don't align, looks like I'll be drilling more. Il guessing I'm not supposed to use the metal bar (front or rear) that was under my old one?
image-1048000217.jpg

image-287519687.jpg

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

You can use Full strength Simple Green, or go to pet store and buy something from there for Cat Pee...
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Hey, great project to work on! Congrats! Believe it or not to get rid of some really bad smells .... use Dawn dish detergent. High strength or full strength on the spots that are the worst and you can make a diluted solution for everything else. It will kill most smells and degrease at the same time without melting anything or causing corrosion/tarnish that simple green and purple power can cause on some surfaces.

I have had 3 dogs direct sprayed by skunks on the body and face, the last time she ran in the house and rolled on our carpet!!!! The dawn is the only thing that really works on that smell and I have tried a lot of different things Wife wanted to throw the carpet out ... it was so bad it gagged you and burned your eyes. I took it out, did the dawn scrub on it 2 times and let it air dry. It's back in, clean and you would never know it was skunk funky before!

Good Luck!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
burley
1976 CJ5 

The idle has been a little rough lately. Sometimes it idles at curb from a cold start, sometimes at fast. Dies after 10-12 seconds. Dies when I give it anything but very light throttle. Once I get it warm its better, but not smooth. Here's what it sounds like, its a straight pipe. Flowmaster's on the way!

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
burley
1976 CJ5 

Pulled the font axle and am rewelding the spring perches. I really haven't driven this thing at all, so I don't know how she feels. While I've got the front axle off, now seems like a good time to replace the shocks. No idea how old they are, but judging by all the other shortcuts the PO had taken I'm guessing these are shot.. Maybe not. Any way of testing shocks without driving? Springs seem fine.

I'd post picks but i keep getting an error.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I can't see any of the pictures but make sure you set your front caster within spec before you burn in new perches. If the SOA is as poorly done as everyone is saying, caster probably wasn't taken into consideration the first time.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.