The So How do You . . . Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The So How do You . . . Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
jpd1899
1978 CJ7 

The So How do You . . . Thread

Hey all,

Relatively new to the forum, REALLY NEW TO THE JEEP WORLD,

One thing I noticed is a lot of the same questions are asked over and over. (I should know, I ask a lot of them) Because of the caliber of members they are typically answered completely and quickly.

Has anyone ever considered putting together a section-Most Commonly Asked ? or a So How do You for CJ's.

The stickies are great, but sometimes they can get a little long folks can get off on side bar topics

Has someone already done something like this? Step by step on some of the basics (better descriptions than some of the manuals) that someone can print and take into the garage when they are stumped.

If not, what are some of the questions you guys respond to quite a bit?

Just trying to figure out a way to help? (I'm not adept enough to answer too many questions).

jpd1899 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
berserker
1986 CJ7 

For what it's worth, I second the motion. If more of the "basic" stuff was in a FAQ section boiled down to its essential posts, more of the resident knowledge base could be tapped by new users (like me) for odd questions that aren't covered in the FAQ section.

A thread for suggestions on FAQ topics could provide a beginning (i.e. Nutter bypass, Team Rush upgrade, wiring basics, 360 V8 swap, 350 V8 swap, AMC 20 one-piece install, etc.)

I would think the guys that have been around a while would have pretty good idea about what gets asked the most. (Maybe this FAQ idea is one of those things?)
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
jpd1899
1978 CJ7 

I'm not real good under the hood? But pretty good with summarizing and putting ideas together some instructions from multiple sources.

Do you think some of the more seasoned folks would be willing to help put some of this together?

If we could start with a list of common asked questions and possible "best posts", I could put the thread together and hopefully help everyone out?
jpd1899 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

Okay I was going to say why don't ya'll search the forum. Then I tried.
Jeep Forum non member search BITES!

Now I understand why all of the newbies ask the same questions.

Of course there are 15 stickied topics in the FAQ section.
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.

Last edited by 1984CJ; 06-30-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Add info
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

For a 'Proper' FAQ, someone would have to write, illustrate, and post up the dissertation,
Then the moderators would have to LOCK THE THREAD to keep it from being diluted by everyone with a question or 'Idea' or argument... or just wanting to pad their post count!

I'm all for it, and I'll contribute if asked, but I don't think I would like doing an 'FAQ' dissertation and then having every guy that can type post 'Corrections' or 'Comments' about the project.

Lots of time, effort & resources go into doing a full length dissertation on any subject, and it's kind of counter productive to have just 'Anyone' jump in with any half baked idea...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
berserker
1986 CJ7 

Couldn't one of the "how to" threads be edited with all the stray comments removed and reposted, then locked? Is there a way to "unlock" a thread if there happens to be an error?
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Moderates can lock and unlock at will,
(I'm a moderator on forums with the same software)
And the moderators "CAN" delete and edit posts from 'The Peanut Gallery', but don't do that here very often.

They OFTEN let people go off on right angle or unrelated tangents, make personal attacks, ect. without 'Moderation'...
And getting good, clean FAQ answers are the same way.
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
berserker
1986 CJ7 

I'm thinking that a person can take one of those threads and clean it up, then send it (probably via e-mail) to the original poster(s) to verify correctness. Once correct, submit to moderator for posting as a locked thread. What do you think?
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

It's their forum, they can do what they want to with it.

Personally, if it were well done and in a reasonable format,
I would post it on my web site, then you could just link to FAQ answer from there.

That's what I started CivilainJeep.Info for anyway, to be a giant 'How To' and FAQ.
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I have some how to stuff, also the top ten, or 25 questions, and some hints, I am still working on a lot of it, but mostly I don't get a lot of time for Internet stuff when I am wrenching on the Jeep(s)

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/topten/index.php
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/buildup.php
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/hints.php

As for threads, I agree, there would be a lot of chime in. I offer this stuff up... if it helps, great, if not, then so be it. I am not an expert and how I do things might not be everyones way of doing it, but it does get done and so far, no major catastrophes...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.