snow covered roads and lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > snow covered roads and lockers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
joes1982CJ

snow covered roads and lockers

whats everyones opinion on driving through the mountains on a 2 lane road and having front and read lockers?

i just bought amc20 and a dana30 because they had the correct ratios installed but they have assuie lockers installed front and rear. honestly would rather have them open for the winter driving i will be doing. i use the jeep in the sierras only and im a little concerned with the lockers and the snow. luckly i have the original spider gears and stuff so i can put at least the front back if need be. this is just my cruiser jeep nothing special, 33's small lift etc. i just want it to be semi safe in the winter months and not a death trap.

I have arbs in my other jeep and always leave them open in the snow so i dont really know whats its like to drive in the snow with lockers front and rear...

im refering to driving this thing on a 2 lane hwy. im well aware how it would perform on the trail with the lockers.

thanks..

joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I have a front locker and don't put it in 4wd unless i have to. It's way to unpredictable even worse in turns. I don't have a rear but It shouldn't be a problem. If the roads are really bad and the rear starts sliding around I'll put it in 4wd but I only have one hub locked so it's really 3wd. That way the tires aren't fighting eachother.
Mike78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think if Mike Romain ever get's back from paradise he could tell a lot of stories but from my experiance on icey roads, it's best if 1 wheel per axle doesn't spin and creates a sort of rudder system keeping you in the lane. However in deep packed snow, the ruts will keep you in line while you just make a path thru the snow. With lockers on ice you will always find the lowest point on the road. If the road is crowned you will drift to the side when both tires lose traction.

On a side note, the traction control in my JK is pretty awesome as far as maintaining the best balance in power on slippery roads but sometime you don't want all that balance.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Dry power snow is not too bad. I have a detroit in the rear. But you have to really slow down. Like John says, if there is any kind of off camber in the road like a crown any loss of traction sends you down hill sideways very quickly. If the road has ice on it then you are in for a scary experience no matter how slow you drive. Automatic lockers and ice do not go together at all.

I forgot to mention that driving on slush is ok too with my detroit.
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

there's something to be said for tall skinny tires vs tall wides one too.

in the 78 i have its on 35x15x15 boggers, and the 81 i have has 32x12.5x15 mud kings, the difference in the snow is really night and day.

the 78 glides over the top of everything, where the 81 digs down to the pavement.

what i'm getting at is a lot of how well you'll do in snow really depends on more than just a couple variables.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, Tires make the biggest difference.
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

My best snow tires have been BFG TK KO all terrains. I have procomp all terrains on the CJ and they feel like they have oil on them in snow. The BFG's on my cherokee and pickup do well in snow.
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

My KJ has Blizzaks on it and my wife never even needed anything other than 2WD all winter. However my CJ is suicide if not in 4WD. Old tires are probably most of the reason. They were great new but 5 years later now they are getting to hard.
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
shok47
1983 CJ7 

Instead of starting a new topic, I was thinking of getting snow chains for my brothers civic just for the rare occasions when driving on snow instead of pavement. Has anyone ever ran any? Would love some feedback on them. Orthese snow boots http://www.snobootz.com/faq.php
shok47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok47 View Post
Instead of starting a new topic, I was thinking of getting snow chains for my brothers civic just for the rare occasions when driving on snow instead of pavement. Has anyone ever ran any? Would love some feedback on them. Orthese snow boots Snobootz - Plastic Tire Chains
Chains are illegal in many states (like Michigan). So are studded tires in some states.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Like the oldSailor said, chains are illegal in many states so check first. However I have run chains when I had a civic. My Civic had 12" wheels and I took the chains off my old garden tractor and put them on the civic. They had like 24 cross links so at least 3 were in contact at any time. Nothing could stop the civic that winter. Well maybe a 2' drainage ditch I didn't notice.
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm glad to have military tire chains. They provide you the traction you need. Due to the wide open track they are also outstanding in mud.
Do yourself a favour and avoid those cheap tires traction devices- they are dangerous.
Chains are a must have in Norway( or studded tires). Lockers are way to dangerous.
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Front and rear lockers are scary in snowy conditions. I had an Aussie in the front of my TJ and I wasn't able to use 4wd. The rear was open.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The only locker I would contemplate in my DD CJ7 would be a selectable one. I live where there are lots of ice storms and lockers just don't work, you slide off the road.

I run tall skinny tires that grab nice in the snow. When I swapped from a tire that actually measured 10" on the tread, a 31x10.5 to a 33x9.5 that measures 7.5" on the tread, my traction when up a 'lot'.

The 10.5's started to float about 45 mph, 50 mph was suicide so the transport trucks were alwsy passing me which is a pain in the snow. With the 33x9.5's it will hold traction well up over 60 mph on snowy highways, don't know how much more, I haven't taken it to it's limit. It is so nice to be able to keep up to the big rigs when on a highway trip.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.