Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Snorkel

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BriansCJ 
#1 ·
I've got a 75 CJ5 that I'm debating putting a snorkel on. I'm not planning on any deep water crossings or anything like that, but have heard a few opinions that the cold air from a out-of-hood snorkel has it's benefits over under-hood. I also think the debris and water/mud going into the filter could be limited as well. Just wondering what you all think, and if you know of any easy and GOOD DIY snorkels for carburator. Any input would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
The other thing I'm considering is running a hose through the firewall into the cab. I've heard this allows for far more air to be brought in than a snorkel, keeps things dry (no splash from under hood, no rain, etc. that snorkels or open to) and you don't have the eye-sore of a snorkel. I think this is the direction I am leaning, but would still like some opinions. Again, I'm not planning on swamping, but have had some water/debris on the filter with the stock set-up, and would like to eliminate this.

#3 ·
One of the guys here has a snorkel. He noticed that the air cleaner is a lot cleaner and stays cleaner longer then without one he never crosses deep water but he had been told that is why some of the rigs here have them and it works. never seen anyone with the air intake in cab before would think engine noise would be a problem in that case but never know. I am looking into a snorkel for my CJ for the clean air and less filter changes. FWIH

#5 ·
We have tried numerous systems;
For moderate water raise the air intake under the hood and enclose the air cleaner to protect it from splash and spray; the easiest and one of the better systems.

Run the air intake through the firewall and into the cowl vent (enclosed air cleaner under the hood); best cold air and highway performance it helps to make a slanted cowl vent cover to protect from rain.

Run the air intake inside of the jeep; noisy and doesn't work much better than the other systems.

Snorkle... for the people who really like to play submarine... if the water regularly goes over your hood you need one of these, they are not just for mall crawlers. I found increased restriction to airflow and a significant decrease in performance (ARB CJ snorkel). I thought about getting a second to reduce the restriction but they closed our playground before I got around to it. They have some application in reducing the amount of dirt that the air cleaner has to deal with. Overall, not worth the effort/expense/ugly; unless you are already double zip-locking your wallet. (If you have never had water over your seats; it is not worth it).
Most of the home grown ones work but look like what they are; sewer parts.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.