Snapped Studs To Mount Guage Cluster/Speedo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Snapped Studs To Mount Guage Cluster/Speedo

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Snapped Studs To Mount Guage Cluster/Speedo

Has anybody else snapped the 4 little studs behind the dash, that hold on the speedo cluster?
Is there a fix for it?
Thanks for any info everyone!

Group_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Gotta love the rust belt... The only thing I can think of is drilling holes and using some small stainless bolts, maybe with a flat head that can countersink into a slight dimple if needed.

Hmm, you know, I guess you could glue it in with some latex caulk as long as you put a dedicated ground wire onto the back of the cluster for the lights and gauges. Silicone has a tendency to rot steel so a latex is better.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'd give it an airplane look and install it with some black or SS socket head cap screws from the front.

Might be able to slip a captive speed nut onto the speedo housing making it VERY easy to install the speedo with the screws from the front or even one of those rivet nuts you install like a pop rivet but are threaded.

The flat head screws Mike is talking about are called undercut flat head screws. They are usually used on sheet metal.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Another option would be to drill a hole where the stud was, thread in a piece of all thread (or a bolt with the head cut off) and weld it from the front then grind it flat and smooth.
Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys,

I couldnt go the welding route since I have cork and leather like material glued onto the dash. It would have burnt up. I couldn't see any other option (unless I redid the intire dash) except to remove 4 small holes from the front side of the dash (the cork and leather) and carfully center punch, drill, and bolt it on like john streak mentioned.
It turned out ok. Im not 100% happy with it. But I dont think I had any other choice.

Thanks guys!

Pics Soon, The batteries died in the camera!

O yea, and as far as glueing it goes, Im running a YJ tub, with CJ dash and duct system, and YJ defrost. So things are very tight behind the cluster. There is no way glue would hold this one in, with the speedo cable pulling it down against the defrost duct!
Thanks again!
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=DSCF7922.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=DSCF7921.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.