Smoking CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Smoking CJ7

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Subman

Smoking CJ7

I have a few questions. I bought a CJ7 that was supposed to have had a rebuilt engine. Inline 6 cylinder. The previous owner said nothing was done to the head. It had a small 2 barrel carb on it, but, not stock. It smoked pretty bad, but, it appeared to be running rich. I replaced the carb with a new weber 36 DGEC. I also did the nutter bypass on it. I don't think there is any wiring hooked up, except the bare minimum. No computer hooked up at all. All vacuum disconnected and plugged, except the bare minimum. Set timing to spec, Idle set to spec.
It idles good, takes gas good, does not diesel on cutoff. you can see a slight amount of smoke at idle, but, it is like a fogger when you take off. After you get up to speed, the exhaust looks like it does at idle. The smoke appears to be white in color. I have not done any adjustment from factory settings as per instructions. I installed new plugs, and new valve guides also. I have not pulled the plugs yet to see what they look like. Still hot.
So what do you think? Does it sound like it is running rich from fuel, or does it sound like oil? Maybe water!
Tell me what you think, please, I apprecited it.
Terry

Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
mjp83
2011 JK Wrangler 

My L-6 ran rich most of the time, and it was black smoke.

Blue smoke indicates burning oil, and it usually would get better as the motor warms up.

The white smoke sounds like you have a leaking head gasket, and you are seeing water being burned off.

Pull your plugs, white residue would be antifreeze and and indication of a leaking head gasket. A carboned up plug is too rich, and a oily plug would indicate burning oil.

My guess is head gasket.
mjp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Sounds like a head gasket, whoever rebuilt it either put it on sloppily or the head or block could be warped. If a plug is completely clean, its seeing antifreeze.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.