Smoking after rebuild - 86 4.2 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Smoking after rebuild - 86 4.2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSPD View Post
Ring gaps lined up is almost always a sign that the cylinder is out of round. Rings are supposed to spin on the pistons.
^^^Agreed.

Not so great machine shop. AWESOME mechanic

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post

Not so great machine shop.
Maybe they ran it across the border to Mexicali for the machining
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Maybe they ran it across the border to Mexicali for the machining
Could be.

I suppose it's possible that they weren't able to stuff 6 illegals in perfectly round bores
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
rexbka1865
1983 CJ7 

Check this out to see if it is similar to your issue. Thanks.

LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON WHAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED. I have a 83 CJ7 with a 258 4.2, T5 trans, 4.10 gears and 33" tires. History: I had the engine overhauled due to a compression/leak down issue that I thought contributed to the engine dying as it came to a stop (often), but it would crank up fine to continue the journey. While at the rebuilder (a reputable shop in Bossier City, LA), the cylinders were bored .040 over and I decided to upgrade the cam to a Comp Cam X4254H Xtreme 4x4. I made sure to remind the engine shop that Comp had a kit and please follow all suggestions that Comp may have. After I reinstalled the motor into the Jeep, we had PROBLEMS! 1) Valve train rattle at all engine speeds. 2) Occasional "thump" noise coming from timing chain cover area, and 3) As soon as oil pressure developed after initial crank, black/blue/gray smoke would pour out the exhaust. I took the engine back to the rebuilder and there diagnosis is that the pistons had been "washed" by too much fuel. (I think this is a crock, as I did not make any changes to my Weber Carb from prior to the rebuild). Also they said the cam lobes were worn. All this "damage" was to have occured from the approximate run time since rebuild of 1 HOUR. It had one trip down the road for about 10 miles round trip to "seat" the rings as my mechanic thought it needed, no help. The other time was typical service bay time. Any ideas on how this damage could have happened? The rebuilder wants to blame me and I think he screwed up. Who could it be?
rexbka1865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Hi, you do know that was a 2 1/2 year old thread.
Sounds like small claims court in your future.......
Why such a radical cam for a stock engine?
Also, Comp Cams ain't the best......
LG
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Who in Bossier rebuilt it?

If it was Kittlers I know 1 other member here who had a rebuild engine die right after they got it and they blamed it on him..
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

You can't be messing around with modern oils off the shelf these days. Comp Xtreme lobes are pretty aggressive so the break-in procedure is critical. If the builder didn't break the cam in then I'm not real sure what recourse the customer actually has. That really sucks.

Shawn

Tags
engine help , rebuilt engine , smoking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.