Smoke out of the Breather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Smoke out of the Breather

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Smoke out of the Breather

Have a K&N filter breather which lightly sputters oil and exhaust when RPMs start to reach 2k. Going to try and replace the PCV tonight. I'm afraid that the amount of smoke is not normal and the rings are going bad? How much is too much?

Still trying to figure out all that the PO has done and if there may be other issues. The engine runs well and has power until I try and get up on it and then it sputters. Only the tank line is connected to the canister. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help,
Neuner

p1050523_800.jpg   p1050522_800.jpg  
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Have you ran a compression test?
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Was hoping to this weekend but with the cold and some surprise visitors I don't think I will. Kindof don't want to because I'm afraid of the results. It runs good and has power so I'm trying to be optimistic.
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Did you enjoy the snow? PCV changed? Did it help?
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't see a carb bowl vent line to the canister, nor a return line on the fuel filter.

The combination of both of these could be part, or all, of the problem, including your WOT problem.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

The PCV change didn't help anything even though it did seem gummy. Was only able to test the first two cylinders which were 125 and 110 consecutively. Hoping to test again some time soon.

Thanks Matt for the suggestion. I'm going to look into it. I was considering replacement of the canister and making all of the of correct connections but I'm still confused by the Nutter Bypass and was wondering if that was part of the PO's efforts?

The 'blizzard' stopped shy of us by about 30 miles

I'm also in the middle of painting the exterior which is taking longer than I had hoped. It wasn't until I had the hood off and backing out of the garage that I noticed the breather smoking.
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
RWise
1981 CJ5 

110 is low, should be 120-150, 90 and above will run, lets see the rest,,,,,.
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

They do smoke, sometimes it can be condensation.

If you have the throttle full open when compression testing then factory spec is:

120-150 psi , no more than 30psi variation between cylinders.

those results woudl not have alarmed me.

If you are running the mechanical pump you should put the 3 way filter back in and connect the tank return. You may be getting air locks with the system set up as it is.

Teh tank vent line going to the canister by itself will not affect running, but it is not doing anything.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Also, pull the pcv, look into the hole, what do you see?

If there is not a shield below the hole oil can be thrown up off the rockers and sucked into the carb,,,,, I think this would fit well with the 2k rpm,,,, and costs nothing to check!
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. Wishing I could react faster. So much going on right now. Anxious to make the hose connections to see if or how this changes things. Hopefully this weekend when it's suppose to be 75! - but then a great time to paint before it gets nasty again.

I stopped checking the other cylinders because the loaner from Autozone was pissing me off. Would like to get my own but I hate to drop more than $60 on a tester right now. I know you get what you pay for so I'm being cautious. Any suggestions?

Not sure of what you mean by a shield for the PCV.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

Ckeck harbor freight ... I know its crappy tools but if it only needs to work once go for it ... if you make a living off of using the tool buy elswhere
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Trying to avoid some guess work and add'l runs to the shop and since I'm missing several and can't compare, can you help with the sizes required for the following hoses?

- Vapor Vent to Canister
- Add'l ported vacuum source from Weber to Canister
- What the PCV to carb and canister should be
- Return line from fuel filter to the tank
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Got a new canister, fuel filter and made all of the hose connections. Still coming out of the breather but not nearly as much. Found a better compression test loaner from O'Reilly that I can hopefully get soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.