Smog test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Smog test

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
mleathers84

Smog test

So we took the jeep for a test run smog test since I knew it wouldn't pass and of course it didn't, the guy told us the emissions were all about the same level and that it might be the catalytic converter, and other suggestions?

mleathers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Need more info - state, engine, modifications, what you've done so far - timing, air/fuel mixture adjustment, etc.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
mleathers84

It's in California, it's a 4.2L engine, only mod is the distributor, we have not done anything yet to help it pass smog, the timing is spot on, it does have a bunch of small hoses with discs running around the top of the engine. Not sure what the air/fuel mixture is.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

That's a start - do you have the results you could post up? Catalytic converter is definitely a possibility, but it'd be nice if it were something as easy as adjusting your mixture screws on the carburetor or changing the spark plugs, which would save you some cash.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
mleathers84

O we did do the spark plugs, the cap, the rotor but not the wires, going 15mph the RPM 1472 the CO2% 10.9, O2% 5.5, HC(PPM) 167 max is 100, CO% 0.13 max is .71, NO(PPM) 848 max is 789.
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
43Duc
1982 CJ8 

I just had to replace the cat on my 82 to get it through smog last fall. The cat was original and was told on the previous check that it was at the limits. If you paid for the test, they should tell you what part of the test failed so you can address that issue. The first time I failed it was the fuel pressure test. That narrowed it down to the venting which turned out to be the roll-over check valve for me. If you're only showing a high emissions output and no other failures, then the cat could be the culprit. If the distributor "looks" stock, then they probably won't even notice it.

They tried to fail me on a visual this year because I have a cold air intake plenum on top of my howell kit. The intake has the port for the PCV breather, but because it looked aftermarket he wanted to fail me. I had to convince him that there is no difference between that and the paper element that lays on top of the throttle body. I've had that intake on for years and never had a problem... he gave me the old "just because the last guy passed it doesn't mean it's legal..." crap. I gave him the "it's not illegal - you're just looking at something other than a 2004 Toyota Camry here" speech.

I hate California!!!!!! Can't wait to leave!
43Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
mleathers84

I hear ya, way too many restrictions here. Yeah I got my new cat in the other day I just have to switch it out and my locking gas cap has to be replaced but that's an easy fix.
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

could you post the ppm results for the failed emissions?

i have failed two "pre smog" insp based on the emissions results. visual/functional check passed both times. i think my catalytec converter is also original. im simply wondering how much of an improvement i can expect from a new converter. oops! i see you posted above thanks! mine are much worse. after the cat replacement post the results.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleathers84 View Post
O we did do the spark plugs, the cap, the rotor but not the wires, going 15mph the RPM 1472 the CO2% 10.9, O2% 5.5, HC(PPM) 167 max is 100, CO% 0.13 max is .71, NO(PPM) 848 max is 789.

High NO and HC can be both caused by bad CAT amongst other things, check out
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-...rous-oxide.can
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-hydrocarbons-HC.cfm
jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
43Duc
1982 CJ8 

Mine was hi NO. Cat fixed it. BTW, I have a CA legal FI kit that doesn't use the air tube (or something like that) on the cat. The smog guy was confused about that as well because his manual said my Jeep should have it.
43Duc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.