Smog equipment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Smog equipment

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Bryanle
1978 CJ5 

Smog equipment

I have a 78 CJ5 with no smog pump or any other smog equipment. Does anyone know a good place to get what I need to make it street legal in Ca.
thanks,
Bryan

Bryanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

I think http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/ might have some parts.
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

And bring your wallet. It won't be cheap. You probably already know, but anything like upgrading your ignition will need to be CARB certified. If you do any of that stuff, make darn sure to put the sticker on the inside of the hood so the inspector can find it. You WILL need it. Good luck! When I lived in Moorpark I just gave up and shipped it here.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanle View Post
I have a 78 CJ5 with no smog pump or any other smog equipment. Does anyone know a good place to get what I need to make it street legal in Ca.
thanks,
Bryan
Try your local wrecking yards, look for AMC cars. Also look for full size Jeeps and poke under the hoods of Internationals they also used 258s assuming you have an I6.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

When I got mine, I didn't even bother trying to locate/recreate the OEM smog equipment, I went straight for the Howell TBI kit. It saved me the time, hassle and expense of having to hunt down 30-year-old emissions equipment that may or may not have worked properly. A little spendy, sure, but it passed smog on the first attempt! That right there was worth it to me.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Might be cheaper to upgrade to a EFI 4.0......

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.