Small Rubber grill to hood bumper. Where so I get this? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Small Rubber grill to hood bumper. Where so I get this?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #31
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Keith,

Those are the exact bumpers that I ordered and I got them from McMaster-Carr. Like I said, you would have to use a #8 screw instead of the #10 that the OEM used. That's about the only difference in them.

I will give McMaster-Carr a call on this to see if they can get the 2093-W from their supplier.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #32
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Those are the exact bumpers that I ordered and I got them from McMaster-Carr. Like I said, you would have to use a #8 screw instead of the #10 that the OEM used. That's about the only difference in them.
Couldn't you just drill the washer hole out a little bit to make them like OEM?

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #33
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Couldn't you just drill the washer hole out a little bit to make them like OEM?
I will give that a try. I also have a drill for putting holes in a snowmobile track for studs that might be the right size to enlarge the recess in the rubber so the #10 screw head will sit inside the bumper like it's supposed to.

Unread 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I tried modifying the bumpers from McMaster-Carr without success. The washer in them is so small that when I try to drill out it either rips it out of the rubber, or on the one that I was successful drilling once I put the screw in it deformed the bumper when screwing it down.

I have run across a source for the #2093 bumper and it's about as close to the original as you can get I think. Now I'm just waiting on the correct torx button head screws in 10-32 thread and the rubber Well-Nuts to complete the package.

The OEM is on the far left followed by the #2093 then the bumper from Mc-Master, and finally a #2092 on the far right which is 3/4" diameter and 9/32" height.

Unread 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

I found these. It's been a while since I tore my Jeep down... but these look like what I pulled out of the grille... 5 years ago.

Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #36
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
I found these. It's been a while since I tore my Jeep down... but these look like what I pulled out of the grille... 5 years ago.

Those would be the correct rubber bumper for CJ's that have the standard grille without the chrome overlay. The CJ's that have the chrome overlay grille that was standard equipment on the Laredo model has the bumpers that I pictured above that have a through hole and are held in place with a button head Torx screws and rubber Well-Nuts.

Unread 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
CousinCJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo

I have run across a source for the #2093 bumper and it's about as close to the original as you can get I think. Now I'm just waiting on the correct torx button head screws in 10-32 thread and the rubber Well-Nuts to complete the package.
I'd be interested in a set of 4 if you figure this out. Let us know bout the torc and well nut !
CousinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I need to put in an order to mcmaster carr like yesterday but I am waiting for you to figure which one so I can package it together and save shipping. Is the #2093 from there or someplace else?
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #39
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The rubber bumpers aren't available from McMaster-Carr. I found the correct ones from a place that deals in a lot of small rubber parts for older vehicles. The screws and well nuts will come from McMaster and should be here tomorrow so I can verify that the heads aren't too tall on the button head screws.

I wish you still had that bumper you pictured at the top of the thread. It looks more like the #2092 than it does the #2093

Unread 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
weapon
1983 CJ7 

If I could find it I would send it to you. Still searching...
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #41
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I don't know HOW I missed this thread as I had issues many years ago when mine were crushed and splitting. I ended up using the bumpstops found at the end of the vertical braces that hold up sliding shower doors. The wellnuts were destroyed upon removal or would just spin. I retained the fine threaded OEM torx bolt, and cut down the shower bumper to the correct height. The bolt fits snug fit and there is a small amount under the bolt to hold it, just no thin inside washer. Another plumbing washer underneath with a stainless nut has worked well for many years. Only the diehard CJ nuts (like us) can tell the difference.

I removed one tonight, snapped a bad cell phone pic and reinstalled.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #42
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The only thing that can't be duplicated exactly now is the screw. There is an exact match to the bumpers and also a bumper that is slightly larger diameter and height than the originals. The screw is listed as a 10-32 in 5/8" length pan head. Any current pan head you buy now sticks up above the bumper slightly so it would defeat the purpose. Instead there are Torx button head screw in that size that sits below the recess enough so it doesn't make contact. The top is more rounded than the flat originals. If you look at the first pic that weapon posted at the beginning of the thread you can see his screw head is level with the top of the bumper, which will end up tearing up the paint and rattling.

For the Well-Nut I've found that Auveco auto fasteners offers the original type that snaps in and in their catalog it even references to the original AMC part number.

I think that will be good enough to pass the eye test of even most hardcore perfectionists.

Unread 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #43
weapon
1983 CJ7 

My oem screws were not pan heads but torx and yes it did seem to sit flush with the bumper. While it looks like I have misplaced the only complete OEM set I have left. I do have the screw (with no bumper) and a slightly damaged Well-Nut I can send you. Here are some more photos.

OOPS! those are huge. Sorry.
img_1558.jpg   img_1555.jpg   img_1553.jpg   img_1552.jpg   img_1551.jpg  

Unread 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #44
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That is a 10-32 screw, but the head is flat. The parts cataloging shows it to be a pan head torx which the top would be slightly domed. Anyone know where you could get something like that?

Unread 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #45
CousinCJ
1983 CJ7 

Bought a set of these today...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Or search for "Ford Model A Rubber Hood Bumper Kit"
CousinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.