Small plan to change springs and shackles turned into a major mod! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Small plan to change springs and shackles turned into a major mod!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #16
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Now that the 1" body lift is on, Im out to try a flex, and see how the shackles do.

For a reason, which I suspect, its the front hangers angle, front axle is not flexing much. Maybe its the front shaft, I couldnt figure it out.

Ill cover MSD setup in a new thread.

Thanks everyone for your help, it has been a painful couple of months.

[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

[COLOR="darkGreen"][B]"Tear down the walls of Nicosia"[/B][/COLOR]
LordSul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #17
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

This is how my old setup used to look,
Shackles and springs!

After the spring lift, shocks, drop pitman and axle angle adjustments, ride quality has improved 100%. I no longer have roll when turning corners, I have more stable steering, no wandering. I used to have squeaks and crack sounds when I got over bumps, now I can hear the sound of my tires and exhaust only.

Its incredible how a couple of rod angles and geometry alteration, changes your driving quality. It wouldnt be too much if I said, its as if I have a new jeep.
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

Unread 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Shouldn't there be a little more angle on that u-joint? You usually want a couple degrees on there to have the u-joint still flex a bit to keep the grease moving a little and so that the bearings don't just wear in the same spot the whole time. I could be wrong, since I know CV shaft angles are different from normal shaft angles.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #19
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Yes, you are right, it did need a couple of degrees on that joint, but I do have technical difficulties in making mechanics, do the things exactly the way I want.

It is an easy thing, to take out the shims, decrease their angle then put it back on.

thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.