Small plan to change springs and shackles turned into a major mod! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Small plan to change springs and shackles turned into a major mod!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Small plan to change springs and shackles turned into a major mod!

At last, Im getting rid of the dangerous shackles. And the leaf springs too, you can see the width of the leaf springs are almost 1 - 1.5inch!
Ive broken these springs 2 times before

So I ordered 4" lift kit with nitro shocks, and stock height shackles.
So it started off like this, but the intoxicating feeling of "add to cart" button struck me, I dont remember the next steps!!........ then I added :

1.Skyjacker steering stabilizer
2.Dana-Spicer CV shaft
3.1" Daystar body lift
4.Replacement sway bar and mounts (mine didnt have a sway bar!!)
5.WarriorProducts sway bar link quick disconnects
6.MSD OffRoad Ignition system
7.Team Rush upgrade components (dist cap, rotor, wirings, adapter)
8.MSD 2F blaster Ignition coil
9.Bestop rotary latch paddle handle
10.Door strike pin set

As you can see, Ive terrorized my wallet....strangely I dont feel any guilt. Wait after the wife sees the credit card statement!

My jeep is a big mixture of jeeps from YJ to preCJ, you can read this if you're interested .Thread about my CJ of unknown origin

And my current shackle and spring setup.

Today, Ive taken the car to the mechanics, and Day1 comes with Problem No1, the spring brackets, plates and hangers arent wide enough!! That might be the preCJ part of the car. The springs I ordered are stock width 2" fronts and 2.5" rear. New brackets plates and hangers are on the way. Now we'll need to do some welding!
So here are the parts that arrived

Other parts are shipped from the US, yesterday.
Hopefully this is the last problem Ill encounter.... progress photos will come soon!

Id love to hear your thoughts, about the car, the parts and new ideas of its origin.
Thanks

[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

[COLOR="darkGreen"][B]"Tear down the walls of Nicosia"[/B][/COLOR]
LordSul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I hope you ordered Crabtree's Shackle hangers...they are 2nd to none! If you did not, return the ones you bought and contact Jim (Jim1611 here on the CJ Forum)...his website is:

http://www.crabtreetool.com/

Good luck!!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSul View Post
Id love to hear your thoughts, about the car, the parts and new ideas of its origin.
Thanks
The only thing I take issue with is calling a 'Jeep' a 'Car'!

Most of the serious off road guys I know are driving 'FrankenJeeps', made of what ever worked and was at hand at the time.
We don't buy anything we can build or scrounge!

When I see some Jeep with every conceivable piece of 'Bling' they can throw on it, all I can say is...
Oh Well... They could have had a REAL JEEP for half the price!

To each their own!
Happy Jeeping!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
prwest
1979 CJ5 

What do you need a sway bar for?
prwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

I did feel awkward i must say, when I wrote down "car", i pictured a sedan ....

I need the sway bar because I mustly run on asphalt, and it will greatly reduce my roll on corners. I have disconnect links so, no problems.

It shoud have had one anyway, instead it has panhard rod....it was an army jeep, and army here never had cj7s, only cj5s, so i dont know hw tha hell they made this frankenjeep, but they did spend some time in it.

But previous owner made all the rubish decals, and the lights.
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Ok so this is getting harder and harder everyday, with a jeep with nothing at is original dimensions is killing us.

It appears that the hangers and leaf brackets distance is smaller than that of the new lift kit springs. So should the distance between hangers and brackets be the same as new lift kit springs distance(measured direct from loop to loop)

Im in need of serious help here guys! So do we change the shackle brackets, or should we get the hanger further away..

Ive looked at this chart http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/frame-tech.htm, is it marked as G?

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
billybob535

I read your other thread and I looked closely at the pics. Based on what I saw and what you have posted, it looks like you have the early/intermediate CJ front springs on there. They are 1.75" wide and are shorter than the later ones. The early ones (75 and older) are around 36" long and the later ones (76 and newer) are around 42" long (and 2" wide for CJ front/2.5" wide for CJ rear and both front and rear YJ). In order to fit the later ones on the earlier setup, you need to change the shackle hangers and spring hangers for the wider ones (use the 2.5" wide ones) and you have to relocate the parts to work with the longer springs. I couldn't see your rear springs but I would measure both the length and width then post that info here so we can help you determine what you have and what you need.

Here are 2 places for reference: Early CJ to YJ spring conversion and CJ spring sizes.
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The spring, eye to eye, will change length when measured between the mounting points as the spring is compressed. When hanging under full droop, the spring may appear too short. Notice the angle of the front shackle, the rear is fixed.

With weight applied the distance grows as the spring compresses. That's why the shackles are slanted forward when the weight of the Jeep is on them.

To fully understand your dilemma, we need a better description and measurements of what you are talking about. Pictures are always good too.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Ok, it 23.06 here so, tomorrow morning Ill do the measurements and post some more pics.

I now get the idea of spring length changing as weight is applied, and I understand the shackle angles.

But would it be true to say, if I used the late CJ front measurements which is 42.5" , at the link billybob535 gave, technically I shouldn't have any problems.

Coiz, you had your shackle bracket lined at the second hole on the frame, measuring 42.5" backwards would approx give stock mounting. Am I on the correct track?

Thank you guys, this has already started helping my panic attack!..

Unread 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Its been 2 weeks, and Ill be having my jeep tomorrow from the mechanics.
So based on info from coiz, and stock dimensions of CJ7 hangers, we have adjusted the hangers accordingly. But we had to change the mount places of both hangers and frames so the axles position didnt change.

The springs were installed, shocks will be installed tomorrow, and then Ill be off to fit in the CV shaft, and body lifts. But the worst part will be over.

Pictures tomorrow.

Ill need an idea on front axle angle. Ill need this info for tomorrow so I can tell the guy over there so he can fix it.
Do we need to shim the front axle pinion towards the TC?

Unread 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
CSP

NEVER shim the front axle for pinion angle. Your caster will suffer and it will be a b!tch to drive as it will wander all over the place.

Caster takes priority over pinion angle.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

I wish I had some equipment in my garage so I could at least try doing some simple things my self....You can see how long it took from my first message in this thread.

Anyways,

We managed to custom make our spring mounts, shackle hangers and spring plates, then weld on the frame.
However, we weren't able to do it by only moving the shackle hangers away. We had to move both the mounts and the hangers away from each other so the axle positions stayed as it should be. Photos, shackle hanger and mount, also you can see the new stabilizer.

Anything to correct up to this stage? Specially Im not sure about the stabilizer mount, the one on the rod, shouldn't that be better off below the rod?

This was the hardest, most costly and most time taking stage.
Now , it was time for the CV shaft.

First of all, the shaft was way too long, about 8-9inch. So it was cut short and balanced. And it was a surprise for me, I needed a CV YOKE!! Ive been trying to read as much as I could but somehow, missed the detail!

Thanks to Del at WFO concepts, the "Dana Model 20 TC 10 spline CV yoke" was shipped immediately.Here are some pics of the CV shaft, and driveline angles

From 10 spline TC output, very narrow springs, it seems the original VIN plate was right about 1975.

A lot more to do, but at least they seem easier. Hopefully!
Body mounts, TeamRush, and MSD installation.

Ill be updating, please share your thoughts.

Unread 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
CSP

Personally I wouldn't have moved that mount forward for the front shackles. The top of your shackle appears to be slightly forward of the bottom of the shackle. If anything it should be the opposite, and at a steeper angle.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

That is my concern as well, Ive been thinking boomerang shackles for that reason. Should correct the angle and give some more droop space.

Unread 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

That front shackle is likely to fold up backwards and bind the first time your front axle droops.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.