Small holes...bondo or Fiberglas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Small holes...bondo or Fiberglas?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Small holes...bondo or Fiberglas?

In the classic "since I'm there"...I had to remove the interior to get at my tranny, so decided to wheel the (very small) amount of visual rust and Bedliner the interior

The rust isn't bad, only a few dime sized holes have appeared where the PO used bondo, otherwise it's a very solid floor
I'm not in any mood to do really intense sheet welding (all the holes are on corners, etc) for what little rust there is.

Do you guys have any thoughts on bondo, glass, or other? Because the holes are so small I guess I do have the option of welding in some little 'plugs' instead of making complex pieces...

Thanks!

ferday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

I Used USC Duraglass(supposedly waterproof) for small holes. the problem with welding them is that if its rusted out. as soon as you apply the heat ,the hole will just grow and grow. could put a metal patch over it but it will trap moisture and rust worse . just my 2cents.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Kitty hair fiberglass
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Cut and weld is always the best repair. Even with small holes, you should try to cut back to good metal and weld in a patch.
Repairing rust in corners is even more important because it can spread from one panel to an adjacent panel very easily (they don't call it "Cancer" for nothing).
If welding is not an option for you, sanding and treating the rusted area is probably the next best thing. There are some pretty good rust treatments out there. Bondo will work for small holes, but you will want to add something to reinforce the patch for anything over 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide (a lot of people use a piece of window screen). I've also seen people use JB Weld or similar epoxy mix to plug a hole.
Make sure to protect your repairs with some good paint and maybe some undercoating too (there are mixed opinions on undercoating, but I personally believe it helps protect the undercarriage from rock chips).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
CSP

Anything short of removing the rusty steel and welding in good stuff is a band aid. Bondo or fiberglass will just eventually trap moisture and make it worse.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Wire wheel the rust out as best as u can and use what was previously mentioned or EVERCOAT's metal to metal. It is a metal reinforced filler that will not let rust come through. Sand smooth and paint or bedliner will finish it off. Obviously patching it in would be the best way to go but if u don't want to get in to all of that, this way is good too.
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
douhoh

Duraglass is good. It's strong & doesn't absorb moisture. Need to follow up with some decent etch primer/epoxy primer. Some por15 is a good fix also, little pricey but durable, &there are similar products at a bit lower price.
douhoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Weld.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
CSP

The problem with glass or other fillers is the backside is exposed still unless the OP does both the interior side of the tub floor and the bottom, where the most exposure to the elements is.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The problem with glass or other fillers is the backside is exposed still unless the OP does both the interior side of the tub floor and the bottom, where the most exposure to the elements is.
that's a good point

i think i've decided to just do some good quality filler (kitty hair, evermetal etc.) and bedline the interior, and rubber paint the bottom side of the repairs. there is very little rust on the body and at this point i'm not ready for body restoration, i'd like to get the mechanicals working and this darned heep on the road!

thanks everyone for some great suggestions!
ferday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Weld.
LG
X2
I know a body guy that uses JB weld on small holes,,,,,
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
X2
I know a body guy that uses JB weld on small holes,,,,,
Weld the hole. Lead to smooth and blend.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.