SM 465 Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SM 465 Rebuild

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

SM 465 Rebuild

I just rebuilt a SM 465 to put in my CJ7. I googled and found some pictures but mainly about disassembly. I didn't take any pictures because I was up to my elbows in grease most of the time. So why this thread? Things I learned.
1.) You can download a factory manual on line for free. www.kinzers.com/don/landcruiser/transmissions Disregard the landcrusier title it has both the sm420 and 465.
2.) Snap ring pliers and a hydraulic press ARE a must.
3.) Mechanic gloves are a savior for your fngers when putting the main shaft in and out ( that sucker is heavy)
4.) Too late in the rebuild I saw where a guy mounted it on an engine stand great idea it weighs 175 lbs.
5) When yoiu take the clutch shaft or pinion drive shaft (different people call it different names) apart from the mainshaft carefull because 17 needle bearings like to escape.
6.)The manual is pretty straight forward about taking the mainshaft apart and putting it back together.
7) DON'T PUT EITHER THE FRONT OR REAR BEARING IN THE TRANSMISSION UNTIL YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE PINION SHAFT AND MAIN SHAFT.
8). Have patience. The most dificult part was holding the #$#@@ needle bearings in the pinion shaft. I had already installed the rear bearing and didn't have enough clearance so I had to put the two of them together and it was a royal pain.
I installed a Novak adapter and had to change out the main shaft so that is how I got started . If anyone out there decides to do one and you run into problems send me a pm and I'll share what I learned.

texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
CSP

You should add the link for the manual you downloaded.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.