Slave cylinder for a 78 CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Slave cylinder for a 78 CJ7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Slave cylinder for a 78 CJ7?

Stock 1978 CJ7, 304, w/t150 borg warner 3 speed. Does my jeep have a slave cylinder...and if so, where's it located? While driving, lost all pressure in my clutch pedal (went to the floor and stayed there).

"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
CSP

Follow the clutch linkage from the pedal out to the firewall. If it's linkage on the firewall and not a master cylinder with fluid in it you don't have a slave cylinder.

No '79 would have come with a hydraulic clutch (with a master and slave cylinders), but a prior owner could have converted it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Thanks CSP. It broke down at around 1:00 am. With a flashlight (and being about 50 minutes from my house), I popped the hood, located the loose clutch pedal linkage coming through the firewall, and could easily pull it in and out (no resistance). Couldn't locate a slave cylinder (but it was dark). Got under the Jeep, and found the bracket (part #5) and linkage (part #2) were just hanging there. Also found a broken zip tie on the ground. So, I zip tied the bracket and linkage back in place (2 bolts holding the bracket were rusted/broke). Got in the Jeep...expecting the spring to provide resistance...but I pushed the clutch pedal in...got very little resistance...and the clutch would still not engage. Put the jeep in first, started it, immediately gave it gas, and managed to time the shifting through 3rd gear all the way home. Will check the firewall again tomorrow for that slave cylinder. Also heard the older models might have a slave cylinder inside the bell housing.
image-3276955139.jpg

"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
Unread 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

From underneath, looking at the transmission on the drivers side, the two broken/rusted bokts are circles in white. The bracket that can be swiveled up onto the bolts (which is just hanging here) has an arrow pointed to it.
image-1213506763.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
CSP

If you have linkage coming through the firewall there is no slave cylinder. You still have the stock mechanical linkage.

A hydraulic clutch would have a master cylinder on the firewall like in the upper right of that parts diagram (left is the master, right is the slave) with a hose going to the slave cylinder.

None of the parts in the lower section of that diagram would be present with a hydraulic clutch and master/slave cylinders are only found with hydraulic.
Unread 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Thank you! Got under it today, lined up the bracket, and asked my dad to gently push the clutch pedal in. Couldn't hold the bracket on (leverage and spring created too much tension). HOPING i just need to bolt that bracket in place. Also, some pics of the engine bay (can't see a slave cylinder).
image-4266383689.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

image-1811535446.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

image-4258812647.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

image-2585970837.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

image-3801295289.jpg

Unread 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
CSP

A clutch with mechanical linkage will not have a slave cylinder. You can stop looking for one.

I don't think you understand what a slave cylinder is. In a hydraulic setup the clutch pedal has a pushrod that pushes in a piston in a clutch master cylinder. This piston forces fluid through a fluid line to a piston in a slave cylinder. This piston pushes a rod which moves the clutch fork.

In yours all of the pieces and parts of the linkage eventually move the clutch fork. There's no fluid or hydraulics or master/slave cylinders involved. Only 1980 and newer CJs with four cylinder engines came with hydraulic clutch setups.
Unread 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Thanks CSP. Initially, when I lost clutch pedal pressure, I thought it was a failed slave cylinder. The hanging bracket next to the tranny confused me further. I zip tied the linkage/bracket back together as a temporary fix thinking it "held". Shifted, hit the gas, and when that didn't work...I thought the issue was non-linkage (i.e. Hydronic) related.

Wasn't until today when I noticed my makeshift ziptie solution didn't hold (i.e. I looked under the jeep...and The bracket that I thought was secured which works in conjunction with the spring, actually failed and came loose...hence no pressure). So, there's no hydrolic component to my clutch system (that was implemented as you noted with later models). My issue is linkage and more specifically....a bracket needs to be remounted to create pressure on the pedal (via spring).
Unread 08-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Just closing this out. Used WD 40 soaked overnight...both broken bolts came out...re-bolted bracket back on with two grade 8 bolts (5/16's X 18 X 2 & 1/2)...and 2 lock washers. Fixed. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.