Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Skyjacker or bds lift

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jamesromeos 
#1 ·
I have been thinking of lifting the jeep for some time but have been concerned that having 2.73 gears that I wouldn't be satisfied with the with bigger tires. However a local guy here where I live said that he can get a skyjacker for $500 with shocks or a bds with shocks for $540 plus a $100 shipping fee. Would it be worth it for a lift at this price or would I be dissatisfied? I currently run 31 inch ko's and have a straight 6.

#11 ·
What transmission do you have in the 85? T176? T4? T5? Big tires and low (numeric) gearing will be hell on the T4 or T5. Depending on a whole lot of other variables. 3.54 or 3.73 might be a better option over the 2.73.

I've got a 2.5" BDS lift on my 76 CJ5. It also has 3/4" ConFer shackles (3/8" lift). I've got 32" TSL/SX tires and 4.56 gearing. I can easily run 33's with this lift for street use. Off road would be a whole other story.

I'm a bit partial to the BDS, as I drove two hours and basically 'picked it up at the factory'.

#12 ·
lift...BDS for sure

as for the regear, if you are running the 20 rear / 30 front. It really isn't that big a job, you can save quite a bit by doing it yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.