Skid Plate Out - Tranny Doesn't Shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Skid Plate Out - Tranny Doesn't Shift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
dicknjane

Skid Plate Out - Tranny Doesn't Shift

Newbee here....May seem like a stupid question, but here it goes. I have a 77 CJ7, 304, TH400, Quadratrac....it's been leaking tranny fluid and I wanted to get a better look at everything and take it to the car wash to clean it up. Drove it last night and had no issues shifting. I took the skid plate off today and the tranny won't shift past reverse anymore.

Question: When I dropped out the skidplate, did that effect the height of the transmission and in turn cause the shift issues??

Help is appreciated!

dicknjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Did you support the transmission when removing the skid plate? If not, you might have caused some issues if you just let it drop down.

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
dicknjane

Nope, wasn't prepared for it to cause issues. I assumed the tranny had it's own support on the frame irrespective of the skidplate.

I supported the skid plate when I took out the bolts and then dropped the plate down with the jack...

Now that I've caused the issue, should I replace the skid plate as carefully as possible or will I need to make adjustments to the transmission first?
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I don't know much about the auto's, but the manual trannies are attached to the skid plate by a tranny mount and a torque pin. If you were to loosen up one side of the plate, it probably would cause the thing to fall down with the other side attached still. If that is where you are at, did you jack up the tranny to then attach the skid plate? If you did that and it doesn't shift, I am not sure what the deal is. If you are hanging and trying to shift, then you might want to put it back to the way it was and then try shifting.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
dicknjane

I took off the side bolts on the skid plate, then realized I need to jack up the plate in order to remove the 2 bolts and one nut in the center of the plate. I jacked up the skid plate, removed those 2 bolts and nut and dropped out the skid plate. The sides seemed to come off without any movement on the tranny, but I wasn't really paying close enough attention, not expecting problems in the first place.

I'll jack the skid plate back up and put it back together. The tranny fluid is also severely low but I drove it last night without any noticeable issues.

I'm hoping it's just that simple.
Unread 07-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Wow! this is how hospital visits happen. The belly pan is the support. The drivetrain is attached/resting on 3 points: 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount via the pan. What most likely happened is when you lowered the pan, the engine/auto/t case leaned back till it hit the firewall and then the pan came off from there (ie not good) In the process, the auto stift linkage went into a bind and of course wont shift right. If we are indeed talking about the same large belly/skid pan, don't try to drive the Jeep without it. Raise the rear end of the t case with a jack high enough to replace the pan and then remount it to the pan. adjust/inspect the linkage from there. Please be carefull as the drivetrain weighs a lot and can/will hurt you if it falls on you.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Last edited by only in a jeep cj; 07-17-2003 at 10:03 PM..
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
rustyCJ

if the tranny/TC is just hanging there then you wont beable to shift because the linkage will not operate cause of binding. if you dropped the skid and the tranny/TC dropped with the skid and you put it back up you might have bent the linkage so now it is binding.

that will teach me to talk on the phone while posting, sorry for the repeating the above infor.

Last edited by rustyCJ; 07-17-2003 at 10:06 PM..
rustyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.