Skid plate malfunction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Skid plate malfunction

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Skid plate malfunction

So was driving to a buddys house with Yogi the beagle. I went over the rail road tracks, heard a noise and saw my shifter had dropped 3 inches and the clutch was stiff. I couldnt shift! pulled into the grass and noticed the skid plate came off the frame on the passenger side.

Is the transfer case and the rear part of transmission supposed to be held up by the skid plate?! Seems like an odd design if thats true. I dont think the skid plate is original, as it doesnt really even seem to fit flush, and the drivers side is all redneck welded on the back and bolted on the front.

Another question: See those oval punch out holes on the frame? Are those present on 78 CJ5 frames? the tow truck driver didnt seem to think so...

Also, a i die a little inside when my CJ comes home on a flatbed LOL

damage:

temporary fix:

Yogi the beagle:

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

From the picture it looks like a standard skid plate. Yes on the Frame holes.

From the look on Yogi's face, he's like , Dude, don't let that happen again.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

lucdog, i am freakin jealous of your garage!!
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
S76
1984 CJ7 

Can you put some new bolts back in it? Are the nut serts still in the frame?
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

I am going to figure that out soon...the nutserts look like they are still there but I am not sure if they are stripped or not...I feel like if they were in good shape the PO would have bolted it instead of halfass welded it
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
rah2eq
1978 CJ5 

That's some pretty bad news. That is exactly the same as my 78 CJ5 factory skid, and the holes are the same as well. As has already been said, that skid is meant to hold up your driveline. If I were you, I'd check your motor mounts because your engine was holding up the rest of your driveline with a whole lot of torque on your motor mounts.
Also, since the skidplate has to be removed in order to take out your tranny, t-case, or get at the clutch/bellhousing, welding it on is a pretty poor solution of the PO. Good luck in sorting this out.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah2eq View Post
That's some pretty bad news. That is exactly the same as my 78 CJ5 factory skid, and the holes are the same as well. As has already been said, that skid is meant to hold up your driveline. If I were you, I'd check your motor mounts because your engine was holding up the rest of your driveline with a whole lot of torque on your motor mounts.
Also, since the skidplate has to be removed in order to take out your tranny, t-case, or get at the clutch/bellhousing, welding it on is a pretty poor solution of the PO. Good luck in sorting this out.
thanks man...so the transmission is not mounted to the frame at all? just held up by the skid plate and engine/motor mounts?
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmike29

thanks man...so the transmission is not mounted to the frame at all? just held up by the skid plate and engine/motor mounts?
Correct.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

is there a reason for this design? i feel like there should be a cross member for the transmission to rest on so if you lose the skid plate you dont lose your drive train
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmike29
is there a reason for this design? i feel like there should be a cross member for the transmission to rest on so if you lose the skid plate you dont lose your drive train
As stated the skid plate is also the crossmember. Other than these last 2 post this week I have not ever seen someone lose a skid plate. So if you install a cross member under the skid and then you loose both the skid and cross member at the same time what holds it all up? Do you build a back up crossmember under the added crossmember? The factory design is proven to work, why reinvent the wheel?
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
As stated the skid plate is also the crossmember. Other than these last 2 post this week I have not ever seen someone lose a skid plate. So if you install a cross member under the skid and then you loose both the skid and cross member at the same time what holds it all up? Do you build a back up crossmember under the added crossmember? The factory design is proven to work, why reinvent the wheel?
im sure its a matter of the skid plate being attached to the frame correctly which it was clearly not....the cross member would go directly underneath the transmission (there probably isnt room tho) so if the skid plate were to go, this would offer back up and prevent added strain on the motor mounts while you limp home
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmike29 View Post
as far as I know, all the jeeps (Cj/wrangler jeeps anyway) are like this. Even my TJ had the factory skid that doubles as the crossmember and transmission/transfercase mount. The reason? I don't know, I imagine it's just more efficient to make them that way, and might take up less room? Even most aftermarket skid plates work like that too.
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
as far as I know, all the jeeps (Cj/wrangler jeeps anyway) are like this. Even my TJ had the factory skid that doubles as the crossmember and transmission/transfercase mount.
yeah, if it was bolted on correctly im sure it would never malfunction....thanks guys!! if its not one thing its another!
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmike29 View Post
yeah, if it was bolted on correctly im sure it would never malfunction....thanks guys!! if its not one thing its another!
Might be a good idea to just crawl under there and look for any obviously loose bolts every now and then. I'm sure that you would have noticed one of those bolts missing (or possibly still hanging on by a few threads). It probably took months or longer for them to wiggle out.

I crawl under mine before every time I make a long trip (across country). And when I'm under there working on something, I just take a quick look at everything to see if anything is blatantly loose or missing

In fact, just last month I found MY transfer case bolts on the driver side were loose.
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

hahaha yeah...i should probably install a preventive maintenance check every so often...good idea! would save me from embarassing flat bed trips...it just looks wrong to have a beast like that on a flat bed lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.