skid pan bolt up problems 78 CJ-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > skid pan bolt up problems 78 CJ-5

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

skid pan bolt up problems 78 CJ-5

i was attempting to remove the skid plate in anticipation of replacing the clutch a little later. the PO welded the plate to the frame and the bolt at the rear most passenger frame bolt. after grinding out the weld, i removed that bolt and the others (one of them broke off, i could kick myself for using a cheater), loosened up the plate except for the torque arm and found when i was going to bolt it back up that i have two i can use on the driver's side and none any good on the passenger side. three of them you can slide the bolt up into the frame as the nut assembly welded into it, or however it is made is gone completely, and the front most bolt on the passenger side is rusted into the threaded assembly in the frame and just spin the whole assembly, but will not tighten or loosen to rempve the doggone thing. since the frame here is boxed on all sides, and i know this is probably a dumb question, but how to i rectify this situation so i can bolt the plate back up to the frame? ther is nothing for the bolt threads to bite into and i can't get a nut in there, any and all suggestions are appreciated, including how to get the one wayward bolt out that is as useless as it can possibly be. i guess the PO's solution to this rpoblem when he came across it was to do the welding. that seems counter productive to me.

thanks in advance

Last edited by jimdubose; 10-18-2009 at 04:03 PM..
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Sounds like you'll have to drill holes in the frame. Or cut out boxes and patch it back up. That way you have access to the new nut.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

I just had to do this on my 76 CJ5. Although, I had 3 good bolts on the passenger side and only 2 / 3 on the driver. I could have left it, but that one bolt bugged me.

Here is my fix.. I took one of those uni-bit drill bits and made a hole on the inside frame rail. I kept drilling a larger and larger hole until I was able to fit a small nut in there. I put the bolt through the bottom and really had a hell of a time getting a wrench in there to put on the nut.

Now there is a fairly sizable hole on the inside of the frame, and it isn't exactly in the center of the piece so I'm a bit concerned about strength. I think I'll weld in a patch so that the strength of the piece is not compromised.

You COULD just drill a hole up from bottom all the way through the top of the frame and put long bolts in this way. Since most of your bolts are missing, this would look a bit more "normal" than one like I would have had to do.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
bentshackle
1983 CJ7 

Get a flanged nut the correct size and a drill bit/hole saw the same size as the flange on the nut. Drill out the old nut.
Thread your flanged nut unto a longish bolt and place it in the hole you just drilled and tack it to the frame. Take the bolt out and weld the nut up the rest of the way.
No new holes in your frame. Just a brand spanking new nut.

BS
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

I had similar problems not long ago. I ended up drilling a new hole on the top of the frame and ran a long bolt through the skid and through the fame. Just remember to use grade 8 bolts and washers.
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentshackle View Post
Get a flanged nut the correct size and a drill bit/hole saw the same size as the flange on the nut. Drill out the old nut.
Thread your flanged nut unto a longish bolt and place it in the hole you just drilled and tack it to the frame. Take the bolt out and weld the nut up the rest of the way.
No new holes in your frame. Just a brand spanking new nut.

BS
This is a great method.. wish I would have thought of it...
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.