Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #121
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Matt,

Do you have any before pics with the old decals? I would like to see what it looked like before. Personally, I vote for decals. There aren't a lot of CJ's running around that are the quality of yours, nice work.

I thought I read that you put your seam sealer on after putting on the primer. I just wanted to check because I am seam sealing, priming and painting the underside of my tub this week. If so, what was your reasoning behind this.

I'm not second guessing you, I just want to make an informed decision when I do it. Thanks.

Unread 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #122
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

"I thought I read that you put your seam sealer on after putting on the primer. I just wanted to check because I am seam sealing, priming and painting the underside of my tub this week. If so, what was your reasoning behind this."

Just one option and opinion. I just seam sealed last week and I first brushed chassis saver into all the seams. Once it dried, I applied the seam sealer. My theory was to completely seal inbetween the joints from moisture before I applied the seam sealer for a more "foolproof" weather seal.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/just-another-83-cj7-build-thread-1325757/[/url]

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift
Confer Engineering Shackles
32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrains

[QUOTE]whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on - saskcj7[/QUOTE]
inovermyhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #123
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
Matt,

Do you have any before pics with the old decals? I would like to see what it looked like before. Personally, I vote for decals. There aren't a lot of CJ's running around that are the quality of yours, nice work.

I thought I read that you put your seam sealer on after putting on the primer. I just wanted to check because I am seam sealing, priming and painting the underside of my tub this week. If so, what was your reasoning behind this.

I'm not second guessing you, I just want to make an informed decision when I do it. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words. Below is a pic of my rig with the decals.

My reasoning for applying the seam sealer after the primer was for rust protection. I used a high quality epoxy primer with a rust inhibitor. I wanted that to be the first thing to contact the bare metal and other unfinished areas. My thought was the primer would seep into areas I could not reach with the caulking gun.

Hope this helps,

Matt
tiretuck1.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #124
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Just read the whole post. Beautiful job and results. Be very proud of yourself. BTW, if your still counting, I'm FOR re-striping it. FWIW.
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #125
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I am glad I read this before seam sealing, after thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.

After seeing the pics with decals you got to put them back on. It sets it apart from everything else on the road.
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #126
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I am actually thinking about styling mine after this Jeep. I am glad I didn't pay someone to paint mine, my wife would kill me.

jeep4.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #127
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I am actually thinking about styling mine after this Jeep. I am glad I didn't pay someone to paint mine, my wife would kill me.

I like it!!
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #128
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I like it!!
Me too!
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #129
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

The reason I want to re-stripe to make it look as stock as possible.
Sounds loud, muffler leak officer. Too high, that's the way they came back them officer. Speeding, well the speedo must be off. Dead hooker in the back, well...?
If you can paint it, applying ther stripes is no biggy. I did it when I first bought it in H.S. back in 84.
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #130
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hutch,

Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, applying the stickers doesn't concern me. It looks pretty straight forward.

What's interesting about the decal dilemma is the splits in opinion. Not surprisingly, the majority of hard-core CJers say put them back on. The vast majority of friends and family, who aren't necessarily Jeepers, think I should leave them off.

I'm gonna roll naked for a while. I can always install the decals at a later time.

Matt
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #131
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

If I do a wild Tangelo (maybe), or that cool blue like "my 304 CJ7" did, I'd leave it stripeless. Because you've entered the custom world and stripes wouldn't match.
However, if I go Tangelo I can always have my local "fast signs" do me a custom colored/lettered setup. In my Gallery I had a sign made up for my 1 Harley that says "Will-n-Nicks Speed Shop".
Custom paint=custom stripes. Stock pain=factory stripes. Having said that, I think the grey/silver/black Laredo striped looks good on almost any color. Hey you wanted it to look like NEW, right?
Not an easy choice, for any of us! Ask my painter...IronMaiden. There's likely to be blood on my Jeep before the paint is finished... if I change my mind 1 more time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.